Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Chemi is on a distinguished road
Default Taking the Salty Plunge!

Hello everyone!
Here we go! I have been creeping these forums for a couple months now debating on whether I am ready for the reef life. And after seeing all of your beautiful creations, and reading ALL the build threads (some more than once) I have decided to switch over my 55g planted freshwater to a modest reef. I have the basic principles down, just have a few small questions for you gurus. I'd prefer not to drill, at this time the tank is 2' from the couch and my bf would not be too happy with the constant splashing of water, he couldn't even take the sound of the air pump kicking on after lights out!
I may be moving in a few months which is why I'd like to keep it 'modest'; looking at zoas, ricco mushrooms, torch coral, hammer or frog spawn and a colorful array of monti caps. Perhaps an easy SPS like a birds nest if my lights are adequate. I think this variety should be ok, if not, I'm open to suggestions!
I have been scouring the buy and sell forum, but it sees as if there aren't too many hobbyists in Edmonton, any with items up for grabs anyways lol! I am looking for most supplies really, power heads, a skimmer, live/dry rock refractometer and RODI maker so this may be a touch on the slower build side. I know from other forums that used is the way to go in terms of equipment, I have no need for the price tag of 'new' for most things as this is my first adventure. I currently have 2 canister filters and 2 aquatic life 48" T5HO fixtures.
As for the rock, my question is about live rock. Some people don't recommend it because of hitchhikers, but, wouldn't it be ok if you did use it and in the event of hitchhikers, hit it with additives to remove the worms, bubble algae and apitasia BEFORE you commence addition of your inhabitants? Quicker cycle without the nasties?

I'm excited for this build, and I'm thankful that I have this great community to help me along the way!