Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info JDigital.

I have a question on bulkheads...mine are slip on the bottom and thread on top. The 3/4" adapter I have to thread into the bulkheads doesn't seem to thread very easily. Do people use silicon to make it go easier or lubricants? Shouldn't the PVC threaded adapter screw all the way into the bulkhead?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Thanks for the info JDigital.

I have a question on bulkheads...mine are slip on the bottom and thread on top. The 3/4" adapter I have to thread into the bulkheads doesn't seem to thread very easily. Do people use silicon to make it go easier or lubricants? Shouldn't the PVC threaded adapter screw all the way into the bulkhead?
It should... unless the adapter has been cross-threaded somehow.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
The herbies I have seen, all the emergency pipes are left out of the sump water level, including my tank. If it is submerged, it will be just as quiet as the main drain if you get a clog. The whole point of a herbie is silence, having a trickle in the emergency would kind of defeat the purpose, IMO.

I'd leave it where it is... and I would scrap the union on the emergency to, The emergency pipe is usually tall enough in the overflow that it only drains the for and inch or so (again, on the herbie systems i have seen).

You don't hear anything if there's just a trickle of water going down. Surface tension makes the salt water adhere to the sides of the pipe as it goes downward. It's only above a certain volume of water that the you start hearing anything. In fact, Herbie himself concluded (somewhere in the original RC thread) that adjusting it so that you get a slight trickle down the emergency drain appears to most easily stabilize water levels.

If you get a clog in the main drain you will get a very noticeable flushing sound because there's no valve to slow the water down.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
It should... unless the adapter has been cross-threaded somehow.
I've check both my bulkheads...no cross threading. It's just a really tight fit that I've never tried to push past the first 5 threads or so just in case I couldn't get them apart again.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

Well I continue to try and move this nano project forward. Tonight I started plumbing the SCWD that will provide flow from my return pump. I will be using a Quietone 3000 which I hope will have enough juice considering it's only about 4 feet of head. I ran into some trouble with keeping the piping to conform how I wanted it to behind the small 16" tank, as such I was forced to consider using 90's. I know they cut down on the flow but I'm hoping that this will still work. I found some new fittings at Home Depot so I thought I would try them...works like a compression fitting.
Here it is so far:

Once I get everything plumbed, I decided that I would use EcoRox from BRS. I saw them in Gools new tank (which is looking great) and really liked the look.

I plan to seed it with another 5lbs of Live rock I have already.

Last edited by mseepman; 09-05-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Looks awesome Mark!!! Having never done the Herbie myself, but reading a lot, I would keep the emergency drain where you have it as well.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Myka...this seems like the never ending project because I just can't get everything done. The more I read, the more I think I have to do before I start the tank.

I've been reading a lot on the Herbies...I do know that quite a few people have said that they have a slow trickle down their emergency pipe because things seemed more stable when they did this. I think it will be a bit of trial and error.
I've ordered new bulkheads because I just wasn't really happy with the ones that came with the tank. For some reason, my plumbing just wouldn't thread properly and I'm hoping new Bulkheads will fix this problem.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Why don't you just not glue the end of the overflow pipe, and then you can shorten and lengthen it without redoing the whole thing to find out what works best for you?

Can't wait to see the tank up and running. But when you do get that far I'll feel pretty bad about not having my cube setup!!! I have to change the design plans now though as I can't get the slate for it anymore...

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Gold Member

I still feel that you'll regret not setting that up as a SW tank. Just put everything that's going into the 40 into the cube and work slowly up from there. I don't see where you have to spend a whole bunch more money other than maybe a little more lighting.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I still feel that you'll regret not setting that up as a SW tank. Just put everything that's going into the 40 into the cube and work slowly up from there. I don't see where you have to spend a whole bunch more money other than maybe a little more lighting.
Honestly, I am thisclose to purging all my corals. I just want to set up a productive Bangaii breeding system. I've done it all...now I'm interested in making money off it. Seriously, what would be better than to make a living off breeding fish? Pipe dreams really, but not entirely unobtainable.

To setup the 75 cube as a reef tank I would need to upgrade skimmer...or go skimmerless. And lighting would be a big factor. I would need more rock too. Basically $1000 easy...and Central America is calling my name soooooooo badly!!!

SPS fanatic.