Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Looking good, I love the silly little face of clown gobies!

I'm no expert, but that looks like the start of bubble algae!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Awesome!!! Not sure on that "pest algae"...looks kinda bubbly or fluffy or something? Excellent coralline growth coming in though!

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

It's fluffy...and comes off easy enough, just grab it with tweezers and the whole clump comes away. Problem is that it grows back in a few days.

Coraline is coming on nicely. Just put in some Zoa frags this week so those pieces are a little whiter than the rest.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Weird algae. Are there many clumps? What if you chip the rock out where it is attached? PITA I know, but it might work.

I love the Goby/shrimp pair.

I thought it was going to be an SPS tank? Are you planning to remove the Zoas?

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:26 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Tanks looking good mseep! Love the YCB, mine is quite entertaining.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Gold Member

Myka, I just don't think I could bring myself to try to chip the rock as there are about 20 spots with that algae now. I will continue to try to pull the algae out until I can identify it a little more and come up with a better solution.

As for the stocking...it was going to be strictly SPS, but as yet, the tank isn't really mature enough to push the SPS stocking levels with more frags, so I've been adding some zoas for color. I think that the zoas can live peacefully with the SPS if they had to...unless someone knows differently. I have some more frags for the tank once I feel confident with the tanks maturity.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Well I added the 3rd and what I thought was the final fish to my tank last week. A really nice little perc that I picked up a the LFS. Unfortunately, after only 4 days he decided to go carpet surfing during the night. I haven't had a lot of clowns jump on me before so I wasn't expecting that.

I guess it's time to come up with some type of "false eurobrace" that will prevent future attempts once I replace this little guy. Any suggestions on how to do this out there?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Myka, I just don't think I could bring myself to try to chip the rock as there are about 20 spots with that algae now. I will continue to try to pull the algae out until I can identify it a little more and come up with a better solution.

As for the stocking...it was going to be strictly SPS, but as yet, the tank isn't really mature enough to push the SPS stocking levels with more frags, so I've been adding some zoas for color. I think that the zoas can live peacefully with the SPS if they had to...unless someone knows differently. I have some more frags for the tank once I feel confident with the tanks maturity.
Bummer about the algae. I've learned the hard way to rip out any plants that I don't know what it is. Chances are if I don't know what it is, it's bad!!! Haha!

Zoas tend to take over the rock work, and sting the SPS causing flesh loss/death. Also, zoas release more toxins into the water than most other corals which irritates SPS. If you can figure out a way around that by maybe trimming back zoas that encroach the SPS and running carbon, then maybe you won't have any problems?

Got any new pics?

I redid my aquascape and did a major cleaning on my tank before I left. I hope it's ok!!!

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
It's fluffy...and comes off easy enough, just grab it with tweezers and the whole clump comes away. Problem is that it grows back in a few days.
I think I have some of that stuff too.

I might be investing in a sea hare soon. If it does it's job maybe you and others in the Okanagan would like a time share?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Well, I thought it was time to update this thread with a FTS and another pic of my problem algae (hoping that someone can identify and tell me how to eliminate it)

Here's a shot of the tank (note that I have a cheap camera and my picture skills leave a lot to be desired)

And here's a close-up of my problem algae (top left corner)...Any ideas....anyone???? This stuff is taking over. I boil some of it off once per week but this is hard on the tank's inhabitants and my salinity level.