Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 03-01-2018, 12:09 AM

Major nc is on a distinguished road
Default How to make a CHEAP month long timelapse?

I've spent too many hours trying to figure this out. Need help. Would like to use an action cam outside the tank.
Things I need.
Action cam that can be wall plugged
Or regular compact
Intervalometer that plugs in.
1 or 2 hour interval shots. With scheduling, so you don't shoot when lights are out.
Compatible software for pc
Every camera I looked at only has a maximum of 1 shot every 60secs. Thats too fast. Looking for 1 shot every 1 or 2 hours. Hopefully someone has a thread on this already.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:31 AM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing will really change in month I've tried it
Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major nc View Post
I've spent too many hours trying to figure this out. Need help. Would like to use an action cam outside the tank.
Things I need.
Action cam that can be wall plugged
Or regular compact
Intervalometer that plugs in.
1 or 2 hour interval shots. With scheduling, so you don't shoot when lights are out.
Compatible software for pc
Every camera I looked at only has a maximum of 1 shot every 60secs. Thats too fast. Looking for 1 shot every 1 or 2 hours. Hopefully someone has a thread on this already.
Two solutions that I could think of:

1. If you go with the Action Cam route, set the interval to the max which is 60 sec. then manually delete the frames that you dont need. use pics every 60 frames, if you want every 2 hours then use frames in 120 frames interval then delete the frames between them. After that you can compose the video using any time lapse softwares.

2. use any DSLR (this is what i use), then get your self an intervalometer. I got a cheapo Vello Shutterboss that cost me $20 from Amazon. You can set intervals in hours. I use photoshop and adobe primier to edit and compose the time lapse. What I like with this is you can create time lapse on the resolution you wish.. 4K, 8K no problem

Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:45 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

hi resolution ip camera or a webcam (if you have a computer close enough) and theres like a million apps for it
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM

Major nc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
Two solutions that I could think of:

1. If you go with the Action Cam route, set the interval to the max which is 60 sec. then manually delete the frames that you dont need. use pics every 60 frames, if you want every 2 hours then use frames in 120 frames interval then delete the frames between them. After that you can compose the video using any time lapse softwares.

2. use any DSLR (this is what i use), then get your self an intervalometer. I got a cheapo Vello Shutterboss that cost me $20 from Amazon. You can set intervals in hours. I use photoshop and adobe primier to edit and compose the time lapse. What I like with this is you can create time lapse on the resolution you wish.. 4K, 8K no problem

Hope that helps.
Never thought about manually deleting. I know I said a month. But the plan was for a year. Have a camera pluged in. Set it and forget about it. I'd be deleting a lot of pictures and probably mess up the process somehow.
Don't want to invest in a dslr that sits close to my tank and may get splashed once in a while. Also size, got limited space. Would need a bigger mount as well.

Ip route sounds complicated. Need a pc or laptop on all the time and charging. Seems like it's bad for the computer and battery. Traveling with laptops and updates restarting your computer.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone Might just point my cell phone with a cracked lense cover at my tank, once every week and take a crappy picture
Old 03-03-2018, 05:17 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Nothing will really change in month I've tried it
Then your doing something wrong.