Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 PM

Metrontech is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer sand bed?

Hey looking for some help and clarification

I have a 55 gallon mixed reef which will be transferred to my new 120 gallon with 55 gallon sump

The current tank is 10 months old, so the sand is 10 months old

I vacuum the sand, or at least 50% of the sand in a reg basis

Can I just transfer it to the new tank?

I have read a lot about Re-cycling etc and nitrate boosts etc.

I am running high grade gfo in a reactor with zero phosphates and less than 5 nitrates all the time.

Any help?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't. Or at least, not without washing it in tank water thoroughly. I did that once, my tank died
Old 10-19-2015, 05:24 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

I'd keep the sand but put it all in a pail and stick in the garden hose & start stirring... When the overflowing water is clear, go ahead and dump it back in to your tank.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfp75 View Post
I'd keep the sand but put it all in a pail and stick in the garden hose & start stirring... When the overflowing water is clear, go ahead and dump it back in to your tank.
Not terrible advice at all, but using the old tank water will preserve a lot of the bacteria while getting rid of the muck. Whichever is easier really
Old 10-19-2015, 06:05 PM

Duckhams is on a distinguished road

It's best to start the new tank with new substrate. Even with meticulous regular cleaning you'll still get a big ammonia spike if you try to transfer the existing sand bed. I'd personally never reuse a sand bed, even after a thorough rinsing. I'd possible consider reusing a larger grain aragonite after a bleach soak to get rid of any remaining organic material that might cause an ammonia spike, and then a few days in fresh RO/DI but it's so much easier to start fresh and not have to worry about problems.

BIG REEF Tank Re-Build Thread: http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/show...=46508&page=23
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Just a guy..

Again, not terrible advice, but I have done the rinse and re-use without any ammonia. If I lived somewhere I could easily buy new sand, I may have gone that route. If at all concerned, a good wash with fresh water should clean it up fine. Or get all new sand, it'll be shiny and, well, new
Old 10-19-2015, 07:01 PM

mihaivapler is on a distinguished road

I re-used my sand,I just cleaned it very well until the water was clean, so all the debries are gone and put it back in the new tank without any issues..
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Duckhams is on a distinguished road

Maybe it would help the OP to know for those that have reused a sand bed, did you immediately transfer livestock over after adding the sand, before adding the sand, waited a few days before adding livestock? and did you have LPS, SPS, mixed reef?

BIG REEF Tank Re-Build Thread: http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/show...=46508&page=23
Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 PM

mihaivapler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott@BigReefDepot.com View Post
Maybe it would help the OP to know for those that have reused a sand bed, did you immediately transfer livestock over after adding the sand, before adding the sand, waited a few days before adding livestock? and did you have LPS, SPS, mixed reef?
Transferred the livestock right away and I have a mixed reef with mushrooms Zoas sps and lps. Didn't had any loss after the move
Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott@BigReefDepot.com View Post
SPS, same day transfer of all livestock. If you clean all the detritus out of the sand, there's nothing to generate ammonia. Using tank water keeps the bacteria intact.