Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 AM

Ryan7 is on a distinguished road

Would like to hear on this subject from someone who has the education on the matter.

I would like to know how much weight can a wood frame 2nd storey floor hold? Lets say based on a 6x2ft footprint whether it is against a wall or not.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Near an outside wall, you can probably install a 180g anyway. Some condos will have a max size in the strata rules. Always make sure your insurance covers water damage, just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I checked my strata rules regarding pets/aquariums....

I am allowed to only keep a "reasonable number of fish". Open to some interpretation, wouldn't you say?

My strata has approved a 135gal, make sure your insurance covers all water damage. As my insurance company wanted to know the approx amount of evaporation, wattage of the lights and total water volume.

Insurance is a good thing. For $250/yr well worth it.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Floop70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
...For people not in the hobby an aquarium 50 gallons + is considered large.
Isn't that the truth! I had a 55g freshwater tank a few years ago and I though it was pretty big. I've picked up a 90 to setup in the spring and I already think it may not be big enough.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Near an outside wall, you can probably install a 180g anyway. Some condos will have a max size in the strata rules. Always make sure your insurance covers water damage, just in case.
In the apartment I used to rent I had a 180g, 2 x 135g, a 90g, and a 45g top off for the 180. The building was 38 years old when I moved out, so I would say a 180g, at the least, would be fine. Oh ya, I was on the 4th floor. And agreed on the insurance point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I checked my strata rules regarding pets/aquariums....

I am allowed to only keep a "reasonable number of fish". Open to some interpretation, wouldn't you say?
When I bought my condo, there was nothing in the bylaws regarding fish. I had to make sure a bylaw was made so I could make the deal and also continue the hobby. (Part of the reason for the move was upgrading my saltwater tanks. Needed a more solid base). Anyway, this is the bylaw (reasonable number of fish) they came up with. Definitely open to interpretation. Is 100 feeder goldfish in a 30g a reasonable number of fish? Is 15-20 saltwater fish in a 180g a reasonable number of fish?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
In the apartment I used to rent I had a 180g, 2 x 135g, a 90g, and a 45g top off for the 180. The building was 38 years old when I moved out, so I would say a 180g, at the least, would be fine. Oh ya, I was on the 4th floor. And agreed on the insurance point.
Sounds like a cramped and humid apartment. Did the landlord ever see it?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

1 gallon of water weighs aproximately 10 pounds 200 gallons is 2000 pounds be sure you know the direction of the floor joists and position your tank so you have as many as possible underneath it heres a thought that should be comforting people put pianos in their houses and they weigh quite a bit so i wouldnt worry too much about a fish tank in my old town house which was built in the 1940s i put a 90 gallon tank on the main floor and had no problems
Old 12-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Sounds like a cramped and humid apartment. Did the landlord ever see it?
Yes they did. They came in once a year for their annual inspection. I remember one year the guy said "I hope you have insurance". I had a couple of minor spills, but never a flood. Actually, the most water damage sustained was from a big jug (8 litres?) of water I had stowed as part of an earthquake kit. There was a pinhole in it and it drained out. I didn't discover it until months later. One time the manager came up asking about water leaking down into the next unit below, but it was leaking down into the bathroom below and she was concerned about the plumbing in my bathroom. Nothing was out of the ordinary. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and she was gone. Long story short, I never suffered any retribution and I got my full damage deposit back. I was in there for 8 years, so they redid the carpet after I was out. I would have liked to have seen underneath as the ripped the old stuff up.

Cheers,
Old 06-23-2020, 04:48 PM

kapow! is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of buying a 30-50 gallon tank and my building manager told me flat out “no aquarium”. I own my unit and I’m on the ground floor in Burnaby, the building is 39 years old.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:26 PM

oyf709 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapow! View Post
I was thinking of buying a 30-50 gallon tank and my building manager told me flat out “no aquarium”. I own my unit and I’m on the ground floor in Burnaby, the building is 39 years old.
That sound like the exact situation I was before I move.

I own my unit in Burnaby mountain area and it was a 39 - 40 year old condo. However, I am in the Ground floor and my tank was 120G. I had it for roughly 2 years before I shut it all down due to my own personal health concern and the extreme humidity the tank gets me at all time. (over 65% any given time)
Old 06-25-2020, 09:59 PM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

I keep a 120 standard in my wood construction 2nd floor condo. I'm on the board and invited my building manager to check it out and he was more enamoured with the fish and coral than any building issues.
I also made sure to buy extra insurance to cover me and my neighbours in the event of a catastrophic fail.