Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 04-12-2020, 08:54 PM

aqua_techy is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Vortech advice?

Hi everyone,

After 9 years of long service, my two EcoTech MP40ESw pumps are in need of some TLC or retirement, and thought I would seek advice from the community here! Current tank setup is 100g FOWLR + LPS + Softies; Radion XR30w Gen 2 lighting, Neptune Apex controlled, ATO.

Context: the wet ends are toast, magnets rusted through and warped.
Unit 1: has functioning EcoSmart Controller + drive motor + power supply.
Unit 2: not functioning, controller's control knob not lighting up, drive motor not spinning up. Uncertain if controller, motor, or both are toast. Power supply tested and functional.

Option 1: I can easily resurrect Unit 1 with QD driver and new QD wet-end, but Unit 2 will take more work and I need to figure out what's wrong with it. Any advice in diagnosing this? Or should I just send to EcoTech?

Option 2: Resurrect unit 1, scrap unit 2

Option 3: Scrap both, put the money towards a new wavemaker. If you think this is a good option, what would you recommend?
Old 04-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road

Option 2. But damn, 9 Years... impressive stuff, and if that were the case for me personally i would have no problem re investing in two brand new pumps and keeping the one needing minimal work as a spare or back up
Old 04-12-2020, 11:45 PM

aqua_techy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancw View Post
Option 2. But damn, 9 Years... impressive stuff, and if that were the case for me personally i would have no problem re investing in two brand new pumps and keeping the one needing minimal work as a spare or back up

Yeah re-investing makes sense, though when I started I was doing tons of SPS so I went all out on gear. With less time for the tank and mainly LPS ans soft corals, wondering if I need to spend as much money as before. I had two hydro koralias that I threw in that are taking care of things now but they dont do any fancy wavemaking. I also had a MaxSpect gyre for a period but wasn't impressed - it moved water well but was noisier than my vortechs, maintenance was a hastle and the motor eventually burnt out.

Tags
ecotech, flow, pump, vortech mp40, wavemaker