Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 PM

inspector is on a distinguished road
Default Mojano

Hi all,

My tank has been taken over by mojano and I was wanting to know if there is any fish that eat mojano? I have done all other methods like killing them peeling them off but that seems to make it worse. I am thinking of breaking down the tank and doing rocks seperately but thats a big job. Any advice is welcome .
Thanks Paul
Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Starry is on a distinguished road

Joe's juice is 'sposed to work.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 AM

Tailored Aquatics is on a distinguished road

Aiptasia Destroyer works well against them. http://www.tailoredaquatics.com/index.html?a=0&d=47
Old 10-17-2008, 07:07 AM

Kostas is on a distinguished road
Default hey

Well some cooperband butterfly fish have been known to eat them, and I’ve heard peppermint shrimp will do the same (but its sooo rare – so maybe not the best choice, but you could try it if you want)

I bought 50lbs of live rock covered in manajoes because i read that cooperbands eat them (got the rock for very cheap and thought i would set up a smaller tank to put my cooperband in alone and see if he would eat them) now they would grow everywhere, on the glass..ect.. i have thousands of them in that small 30. and since i had so much i wasn't even able to tell if my cooperband eat any (i never saw him eat any) after a month I got him eating frozen food.

In other words good luck, act fast, they grow like crazy!!!! I’ve heard someone say they just picked them off one by one, and that worked. They do come off the rock easy.

I didn’t bother and just boiled the rock still curing it before I move it back in the main tank.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I just set up a tank and in the past on other tanks I tried peppermint shrimp for cleanup but they didn't do anything. This time I didn't feed my tank.(not really an option unless you take your fish out and QT them while you don't feed the tank) But I put 5 shrimp into my tank where as last time I only put one, and this time they get together in a little 'gang' and go out to seek and destroy. Pretty neat to watch. I think when they're in a group its almost like they're competing with each other. My tank is Aptaisia free and no pesky mojanos either. I didn't have a lot of them but now I have none. It might be worth a try if you buy a group of them, put them in your tank and keep going about doing things the way you are already.(maybe you don't need to stop feeding the tank)

Just a thought,
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 PM

inspector is on a distinguished road
Default mojano

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will attack them one at a time and hopefully be rid of them for good. I have had my lights off for a few days and some of them have detached and are floating in the overflow so i can net them out.

thanks again Paul