Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Ok SO my 8 footer that will house a
Orange Shoulder tang
Kole Tang
Tommi Tang
Sailfin Tang
5 Yellow tangs
Chevron tang

will be good not to mention the other 17 fish that i will have in there.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good to know I thought that it was to much.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

this should be a pole tang police or tang nazi
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Wow. Okay then....

I was simply pointing out that while we have taken the fish from the ocean our job was to take care of it as best we can.

Sorry if that got lost in the translation. Was just making a comparison using a dog. Lots of popular TV shows regarding animal cruelty these days. But not for animals with fins.....

As for eco rock? Really? Dig a big hole toss all kinds of sediments into the water ways, destroying local lakes, and rivers eco systems. Pollutants in the air from the equipment digging it up etc. So that we feel better? I will stick with my live rock. I am sure that it isn't collected per the "loose rock" rules that most regions have, but less impact than digging holes, refining the rocks to turn it back into rock.

As for being no better than the next, your wrong there. I do frequent the forums. I make educated purchases. I make sure that I am not buying something unreasonable for my aquarium. I don't just trust some kid at a store that it is "okay" I stick with sponsors that know what the hell their doing. And even then, I still will wait on a purchase till I have looked it up myself.

None of this makes you any less of a detriment to the state of the oceans.
You can say I am better than the rest because I do my research and cross my t's and dot my i's but it doesnt change a thing anywhere but in your own eyes.
You are still taking these animals out of their home and putting them into yours for YOUR OWN PERSONAL BENEFIT.

And as far as the eco rock goes, I thought I was pretty clear in speaking only in the context of being guilty of the rape of our oceans....lol
not of other forms of environmental destruction.
Speculation is fun and it can sure help you make a point but really, you would need a pretty in depth study to truly determine which was more harmfull overall to the general environment.

Also....lol
as a side note, both my German Short Haired Pointer and my Chihuahua are crate trained and are healthier, happier animals for it and nobody is going to send me to jail for that.

Last edited by gobytron; 01-07-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
None of this makes you any less of a detriment to the state of the oceans.
You can say I am better than the rest because I do my research and cross my t's and dot my i's but it doesnt change a thing anywhere but in your own eyes.
You are still taking these animals out of their home and putting them into yours for YOUR OWN PERSONAL BENEFIT.

And as far as the eco rock goes, I thought I was pretty clear in speaking only in the context of being guilty of the rape of our oceans....lol
not of other forms of environmental destruction.
Speculation is fun and it can sure help you make a point but really, you would need a pretty in depth study to truly determine which was more harmfull overall to the general environment.
GobyTron, I think you are coming across a little harsh... You probably don't mean it though, its the common problem with forums. Believe me, I have had my fair share of my comments being taken the wrong way.

I think we all can say that non of us have the right, but we still do... So lets just try the best we can for our little inhabitants. If we all really cared enough, then we wouldn't be taking anything from the oceans, so I guess we are all selfish/greedy.

Just my 2cents.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 01-07-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Harsh?

just pointing out the obvious in my mind.

Apologies to those who may feel offended by my words here but maybe it's because they make sense and that doesnt feel too good.

In my mind, it's reality thats harsh and not me.

Admittably, there is no one I would rather play devils advocate to than tank nazis.

Last edited by gobytron; 01-07-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

How do you measure the stress level of a fish, or better yet how do you measure the stress level of a fish with out stressing it out?

Link me plz.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Jackie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you take a fish out of the ocean and put it into your tank, you are NO better than someone who throws a yellow tang in a 50 gallon...
+1

How about a taking a fish from the ocean and put it on your dinner plate?
You eat it, you stress him once.
You keep it in your tank, for sure you stress him more than once.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
+1

How about a taking a fish from the ocean and put it on your dinner plate?
You eat it, you stress him once.
You keep it in your tank, for sure you stress him more than once.

LOL..
Nice 1.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
How do you measure the stress level of a fish, or better yet how do you measure the stress level of a fish with out stressing it out?

Link me plz.
In the article a study was cited in passing of measured cortisol levels being the same in acclimated stock as wild stock.

I love threads about an article where nobody reads the article. Read the article - I think it's pretty informative and lays a lot of issues out in a reasonable manner.

I'mall for appropriately sizing a tank to a fish - obviously a 7" fish should not go in a 12" cube. But a 6" fish in a 3' tank? Sure, it CAN swim really far and fast, but does it have to?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Harsh?

just pointing out the obvious in my mind.
I gotta agree with you. It's a conflict of interest, in my mind, to defend a fish's rights and freedoms when you in fact own a fish. Is a 180 better than a 90 for a tang? Probably, but marginally at best. Unless you own a tank about a kilometer long, you're not coming close to replicating it's environment. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that unless your gallonage has 4 digits, the tang might as well be in a biocube.
I've heard of tangs settling down once leaving a 4' tank for a 6'. I see no difference in mine after this move. They cannot get anywhere near cruising speed, and you can tell they'd rather be home in the ocean.

So while I may admire the intent to do well, believing we are is simply fiction. Reality is, we are a menace to the reefs!