Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 PM

hairy_frogfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

The MR-1 isn't as nice of a tumbler as the Vertex because of the bottom plate design (have now seen both reactors in action so have a fair basis of comparison). The MR-1 has a circular/slotted style openings and it seems that this causes an uneven upward flow whereas the phosban reactors and vertex have drilled bottom plates. I think this does make a difference so I think I will be at some point switching to a Vertex instead.
Hello,
I indeed have some problem getting good tumbling with the MR1. Could you please post of photo of the "drilled bottom plates" of the other reactors so I can see if I can make a modification on the MR1?

Thanks

Cia

Renaud
Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oh wow, I wrote that some time ago. Should have posted an update, but I did switch over to the .. I think it's called the UF20. It's the slightly taller version of the two reactors by Vertex that people seem to be using for pellets. With the same pump, but now using 1/2" lines instead of 3/8", the difference in tumbling is quite significant. I haven't had to touch that thing in a number of months and the pellets are still spinning away in there.

I'll see if there's something I can snap a photo of, or maybe someone else can do so as well ... but in the meantime, imagine an acrylic disk for the bottom plate, with a grid of holes about 1/8" diameter or so. If you've seen the bottom plate of a TLF Phosban150 reactor, it's more or less the same idea.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Where are my manners!

Welcome to Canreef!! / Bienvenue a Canreef !!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM

hairy_frogfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Where are my manners!

Welcome to Canreef!! / Bienvenue a Canreef !!
Thanks Delphinus
Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Twinn is on a distinguished road

Any one else with the smaller tanks who are running the pellets having issues with HA?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Any one else with the smaller tanks who are running the pellets having issues with HA?
Not me. I've been running them for over 6 months now on a 50 gallon SPS tank and have zero hair algae.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

I am...65 gal RSM and the HA is crazy
Old 08-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
I am...65 gal RSM and the HA is crazy
How's your skimmer working?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Running about 600ml of the smaller NP pellets in a 150 gallon system so about a month and a half. Using a TLF reactor hooked up off of a manifold powered by my Eheim 1260 return. Pellets churn like crazy and without the trusty Eheim breaking a sweat.

My nitrates were creeping up towards 30ppm after an all out SPS crash and there was nothing I could do to stop the rise. Nitrates now at 20ppm but won't budge any lower. I tossed out many corals that were on their way out which would have helped as well. Going to add a bit more pellets. Still cyano hanging around with a few tufts of HA. I've been adding Zeobak as directed and occasionally add Coral Snow as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Frozenocean is on a distinguished road
Default TLF 150 with which pump?

I picked up a TLF 150 with 300 ml of pellets from RIPTANK. (Thanks man)He was using hydor L20 pump... I noticed the pellets moving in somewhat of a solid form....about 2/3 the way up the reactor. I switched out to a Maxijet and now I notice more vigorous tumbling and about 7/8 up the reactor.

Any feedback on the proper pump setup for this system.

I'm running a 90G. He had been running the system for 2 months

This is an addiction just the same.....shoulda stuck with the crack