Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-23-2011, 04:05 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
FYI the cost of the shipping is going to be close even with ETGTech as we really dont add any mark up on the shipping (I believe its only a couple bucks to handle all the customs paperwork). I believe they ship via UPS so then you have to factor in the $50 or so for the brokerage fees for UPS.
UPS is 35.00 min charge. thats why I don't deal with any company that won't use USPS.

speaking of which Milad, how do you guys ship, I was looking on your site this morning and had a few questions so I'll send you a PM.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road

ETGtech asked me how I want to ship, I asked for USPS. They also beat the prices. I havnt recieved the final order so we will see. He had told me on the phone that they have many methods of shipping so im hoping they will go with USPS.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Ya, shipping is often a deal maker/breaker for me when ordering stuff from the US. UPS is outrageous with the brokerage fee, you simply have no choice, they just nail you with it. Fedex is similar but perhaps not quite as greedy as UPS. With a little planning & patience, USPS is the way to go provided the seller will do it that way for you.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Ya, shipping is often a deal maker/breaker for me when ordering stuff from the US. UPS is outrageous with the brokerage fee, you simply have no choice, they just nail you with it. Fedex is similar but perhaps not quite as greedy as UPS. With a little planning & patience, USPS is the way to go provided the seller will do it that way for you.
What drives me insane is that my friend is a border agent and they watch UPS come in with a stack of shipments and they stamp these papers @ about 2 per second. Each stamp is that $50 charge. I need to get into that business!! LOL

We ship USPS express only for international shipments (outside USA)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
What drives me insane is that my friend is a border agent and they watch UPS come in with a stack of shipments and they stamp these papers @ about 2 per second. Each stamp is that $50 charge. I need to get into that business!! LOL

We ship USPS express only for international shipments (outside USA)
yup min chard was 35, and once your over a set amount then it is a persentage of the value.

I was talking to a guy who does canada post boarder clearance.. they charge 5 bucks for the clearance, and they only charge duty on items over 100 bucks and that is a randome thing also. not everyone will pay duity which explains why some stuff I ordered for my truck had duty assigned and some didn't.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

I have my LEDs so now im trying to get everything togather. Iv looked at alot of builds and wondered what the best route is on attaching the leds to the heatsink. Some of the threads had screws and some didnt. Could someone let me know what is best. And if I should screw what type of screws should I be using? We dont mind drilling and tapping if thats the way to go. I didnt know what the difference is. Also (sorry for all the questions) I should buy
20g wire? And Flux core solder? I just wanted to double check. Thanks again for any advice.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs_clark View Post
I have my LEDs so now im trying to get everything togather. Iv looked at alot of builds and wondered what the best route is on attaching the leds to the heatsink. Some of the threads had screws and some didnt. Could someone let me know what is best. And if I should screw what type of screws should I be using? We dont mind drilling and tapping if thats the way to go. I didnt know what the difference is. Also (sorry for all the questions) I should buy
20g wire? And Flux core solder? I just wanted to double check. Thanks again for any advice.
Tapping and screws allow you to move them later but it's alot of work. Easiest is adhesive pads.

22awg is easiest to work with.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks Milad. Ill go grabe the 22awg now. I think Ill try the screws on the smaller light and if it goes ok them Ill use them on the biocube. That way if I need to replace an led I can. If its a total pain Ill use the tape on the biocube.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Just make sure the screws don't touch the solder pads. Also always do a diode test on all the LEDs once everything is mounted before you power them just to check nothing is shorting on the heatsink.