Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-28-2018, 04:09 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I don’t think you would have to change the sand bed. The big WC and GAC should help out. You may just be smelling residual burnt plastic as that’s nasty stuff when it melts.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:17 AM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

I hope you're right and I don't have to replace anything.

So far looks like some corals will be ok. But the acropora and orange eye chalice aren't looking good at all.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 AM

Unfortunately your Acro probably won’t survive the water parameter swings. If your lucky you may get STN and not RTN. I’m hoping they are dealing with stress and swing back.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 PM

Bit of an update.

I have for sure lost my largest acro frag. It has gone bone white. The other acro frags aren't looking great, but 2 still have a bit of colour. Although, the one that had coloured up and was doing the best has lost all its polyps. Just empty holes, but still has a bit of colour.

The frogspawn and hammer coral aren't looking great either. The frogspawn hasn't opened yet while the hammer coral is barely opening.

The orange eye chalice is still green, but there are no longer any orange eyes..

The acan looks surprisingly unaffected. So hoping it will survive.

The apartment no longer smells, but when I open the lid to the tank I can still smell the melting plastic smell.

Still unsure if I will have to go through the cycle again. I will test the water on wednesday.

Trying to look on the bright side, at least this happened now and not when my tank was fully stocked. And I no longer have any cyno....

Anyone have good recommendations on a new power head?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorgon View Post

Anyone have good recommendations on a new power head?
Well hopefully you are able to keep a couple corals alive after this disaster. You may have a cycle or you may have a small ammonia spike. It’s hard to tell until you start testing your parameters.

As far as some decent powerheads I have used the gyres and the Rossmont movers and really liked both. The movers are priced well for what to get and were very reliable.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Well hopefully you are able to keep a couple corals alive after this disaster. You may have a cycle or you may have a small ammonia spike. It’s hard to tell until you start testing your parameters.

As far as some decent powerheads I have used the gyres and the Rossmont movers and really liked both. The movers are priced well for what to get and were very reliable.

The hammer and frogspawn are looking a bit better, but still not great. No change to the chalice and acan.

The acros are slowly getting worse I don't think I will be able to save them.

The tank is having a massive diatom bloom. Really bad on the side where the powerhead died.

For the gyres powerheads which brand would you recommend? Seems like there are a few brands for them at varying prices.

Also picking up a skimmer today. So that should help with any future algae problems.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:05 PM

You could try fragging the Acro above the recession. I have owned both maxspect and glamorca for gyres. The glamorca is great for the price but depending on your flow requirements you may need the larger maxspect. The glamorca comes in a regular or a Nano.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:26 AM

I will give fragging the acro a try although it's a pretty small frag to begin with.

I think I could get away with the glamorca gyre. It's flow rate is higher than the hydor koralia I had. I'm going to look into them more.

Tested my water
Ammonia - 0.50
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Looks like I'm going to have to cycle again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorgon View Post
I will give fragging the acro a try although it's a pretty small frag to begin with.

I think I could get away with the glamorca gyre. It's flow rate is higher than the hydor koralia I had. I'm going to look into them more.

Tested my water
Ammonia - 0.50
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Looks like I'm going to have to cycle again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think it’s worth a try with be Acro. The gyre should give you a nice flow!
Hopefully it’s just a mini cycle and not a fill one.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 PM

I fragged the one acro last night. Will have to see how it's doing when I get home today.

I'm hoping it will just be a mini cycle, but I have a really bad feeling it will be a complete cycle. Anything I can do to speed it up a bit? Find a small piece of live rock from another member that is pest free?

I picked up a protein skimmer last night from another member. Should I set that up now or wait until the cycle has finished again?

I have been looking at the glamorca gyres. The reviews on them don't seem that great. I'm a little hesitant to spend $200 on another power head that might break soon. On the other hand, I don't have the budget right now for $300+ on a power head.