Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road
Default Nano Skimmers

So guys for my new build i am looking for some help from you nano guys. With the new tank build i am stuck on what skimmer i should run. Spec's of the tank are:

24" long x 16" deep x 14" high which will be roughtly about 24 gals in the display and the "sump" area will be about 5 gals. now for the design i am looking for a skimmer that will fit in about a 6"x6" area. i am also considering some of the hang on the back skimmers (eshopps psk-75) but most of them are rated for something around a 75 gal and with shy of 30 gals of volume in the tank this may be a bit of over kill for the tank. On my previous set up i was extremely happy with the euro-reef compared to the deltec.

any ideas what i should run? its the only piece i am a bit flustered trying to figure out what i should buy.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Haven't heard any negatives about the Tunze 9002. I'm going to run one on my tank 24" x 24" x 14"(high). I like that I can conceal this skimmer in the rear chambers that I'll build since it's just over 13" tall.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 AM

OceanicCorals-Eugene- is on a distinguished road

i think you can pretty much go with whichever skimmer you find fits your budget and skims well. I think a skimmer thats rated for a 75gallon system will do well in a sub 30g tank, heres a few reasons why.

-more oxygen for your tank inhabitants
-faster contaminant removal if it was to get in your tank
-more feeding of fish

those are the first 3 that i can think of but im sure theres more.

Just for example, on my personal tank, i am running a deltec MCE600 on a 30gallon tank, it never stops skimming and my tank has never looked better ever since i switched it over. Thats a skimmer rated for 120 heavy stocked tank on a 30. I think you'll be fine with which ever skimmer you pick as long as you know it'll work.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:11 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

i am just not sure about the tunze 9002. After seeing a few in action i am just not sold on it. The only reason i am even considering a eshopps is due to the design of it.

Its funny, i have only heard good things about the deltec mce-600 but i hated my mc500. after dishing out $600 for the thing it was a pain in the butt from the start. barely skimmed and i was unhappy with my choice. after switching to the euro-reef i was extremely happy with the results of my tank. Better color, growth and clearity in the tank itself. This is what i am looking for.

As for the design of the tank, I am basically building a all in one due to the location of the tank (will be on a dresser in my room) so there will be not pipes. just and area cut off from the display so i don't have to look at a heater, skimmer, water pump for carbon and rowa-phos.

Just seeing whats out there cause i know the footwork of most skimmers similar to my rs-80 is about 6x8. And i can't find diamentions for all those euro-reef nano skimmers so i don't want to play russian rulette ordering one and hoping it will fit
Old 04-01-2010, 07:54 AM

im surprised you hated your MC500, most people i know that own it loves it as much as the MCE600. But its one hell of an expensive skimmer for its performance i must say.

The BMQQ nano skimmer packs quite the punch from all the reviews ive seen. using a Pin Wheeled MJ1000 it pulls more air than the MCE300 (as its got more pins on the wheel) and its footprint is much smaller and dont forget the the pricing. Just something to look into, you can probably by 2 of the BMQQ for less than the MCE300 too haha.

Cheers,
Eugene
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Eugene- View Post
i think you can pretty much go with whichever skimmer you find fits your budget and skims well. I think a skimmer thats rated for a 75gallon system will do well in a sub 30g tank, heres a few reasons why.
My nanocube 28g is drilled with a herbie drain, 10g sump, vertex in-80 skimmer. Just finished water testing it all tonight, and all went well. This gives me faith I made the right choice in going with an over sized skimmer
Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have a BMQQ skimmer and for $79.00 all in I couldn't complain. it works well as long as you stabilize your water level. Well built too. I got my at www.nuocean.com as I don't think anyone here carries them.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

I've used a Tunze 9002 on my 20G (+10G sump) for about a year and it did the job. Considering it's just a tiny pump inside I wasn't expecting huge amounts of skimmate but it did produce regular amounts of it. Wetter than most skimmers I've seen but after reading around this seems to be normal.
A couple weeks ago I bought a used Deltec 500 since I'm upgrading tanks and it's been running in my new 30g sump and pulling out much dryer dark skimmate, as I expect a higher power unit would.

the only thing with the 9002 is that it's in tank. I didn't have a sump at first on my 20g and it was annoying having that big block on the side.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:05 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
. i am also considering some of the hang on the back skimmers (eshopps psk-75)
I have the Psk-75h on my biocube. I have been pretty happy with it. my only issue is that it is a bit louder then other ones due to the water moving through the tubes. Other than that it pulls out quite a bit of gunk.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I have a BMQQ skimmer and for $79.00 all in I couldn't complain. it works well as long as you stabilize your water level. Well built too. I got my at www.nuocean.com as I don't think anyone here carries them.
I believe Aqua Digital is the Canadian distributor for BM now, so Im sure they can get the BMQQ for you if you are able to wait a few months for it. Otherwise Nuocean is probably the way to go