Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I made a comment about that last week. It's really simple to not mess around too much, do some water changes and just enjoy.
I saw that comment, but the proof is in the pics! Mine isn't complicated...I don't think, it's just finding the time and putting in the effort. 2014 isn't going to be much different from 2013, so it's just about the effort. I bought a pump to push water up from the basement for water changes, once they are more consistent, I'm sure my tank will start growing.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I haven't tested anything other than salinity once a month (when doing water changes) for at least a couple of years. Who knows what my levels are at. Although I don't recommend this way of reef keeping for everybody.
Agreed. I have test kits unopened that have expired
Old 01-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I bought a pump to push water up from the basement for water changes, once they are more consistent, I'm sure my tank will start growing.
I would have to say, the one real secret to this hobby is easy water changes. Mine take about 10 minutes and I drink coffee while it changes. If I had to pack buckets around, I'm sure it wouldn't get done.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I would have to say, the one real secret to this hobby is easy water changes. Mine take about 10 minutes and I drink coffee while it changes. If I had to pack buckets around, I'm sure it wouldn't get done.
Totally. This was the difference for me compared to my last set up. I can change 110 gals of water in 20 mins from the time I START mixing the salt. And I usually am checking canreef on my phone while doing it
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Love your 2010 pic.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Love your 2010 pic.
Thanks. That was definitely a "sweet spot" in the life of this reef.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I don't recall when I saw your tank but I seem to remember it looking 2010 ish. It's a struggle to choose a favourite look. 2010 was obviously amazing but I also love large colonies. I'm just missing sps in general these days so I'd kill for either at this point lol. Amazing stuff thanks for sharing.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Another thing to think about Brad, is removing rock. Over the last few years I've probably removed 50 lbs of rack from the display to allow the corals to grow taller without hitting the water surface. It is a huge pain but worth it I think.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Another thing to think about Brad, is removing rock. Over the last few years I've probably removed 50 lbs of rack from the display to allow the corals to grow taller without hitting the water surface. It is a huge pain but worth it I think.
I have surprisingly very little rock in there. Maybe 100 pounds total. I may look at removing a bit, although some of the colonies are well encrusted and I'm not sure I want to cut them off. I'll see what it looks like once I move some stuff out.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:18 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Dez/Brad, with the quick water changes guessing from the sump, do you ever siphon out display?