Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-21-2016, 05:49 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road
Default Gyre Placement

Hi,

For those of you using the Gyre, or the Jebao version of the gyre, where do you place them?
I have a 6ft tank and currently run them horizontally on either side using alternating panels. At 40-50% my euphyllia hate the flow, but all other corals seem fine. If I drop any lower I don't foresee the pump being able to push the water to the other end.
I have tried placing them vertically in constant mode on the center overflow, and while my torches loved it, I found it did not pick up as much crap.

I am asking because I am noticing a little cyano & hair algae break out, and am wondering how I can go about achieving better flow while making all my corals happy.

thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM

Tankboy is on a distinguished road

I have a single 150 on a 6' tank, (along with some other power heads). I have it horizontal about 2" below the water line.60% Change between constant and pulsing. Rics and the bubble don't like the flow so they are at the "calm end" Everything else is happy happy! Wanted to upgrade to the dual Gyre with controller, but I have done too many upgrades over the last cpl moths.....so it will just stay on "the list" for now!

Maybe move the euphyllia to a more sheltered spot, and run them around 50-60%?

Last edited by Tankboy; 09-21-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
I have a single 150 on a 6' tank, (along with some other power heads). I have it horizontal about 2" below the water line.60% Change between constant and pulsing. Rics and the bubble don't like the flow so they are at the "calm end" Everything else is happy happy! Wanted to upgrade to the dual Gyre with controller, but I have done too many upgrades over the last cpl moths.....so it will just stay on "the list" for now!

Maybe move the euphyllia to a more sheltered spot, and run them around 50-60%?
both are at 4 circles highlighted (40%), before they were at 50. I want to try the gyres mounted at the back of the tank pushing out to the front, before moving corals around again.

thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:07 PM

brisco is on a distinguished road

I have a 100 gal display which is 5 feet long. At one end I run a gyre 150, 3 inches below the waterline horizontally. It is programed with the icecap controller and runs 8 different programs throughout 24 hours, this keeps the corals happy as the flow changes. It pushes water all the way across the tank and back. The tank has a center overflow, so I use the gyre 130 vertically in the corner of the overflow opposite to the gyre 150. The 130 is just set on a pulse as it doesn't have a controller. This avoids any dead spots. Every coral seems happy with this set up, however, I did have to build a spot for my bubble coral that blocked the "return flow" on the bottom of the tank from the 150.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default gyre,, how close to the water line ???

I run mine pretty close to the water line so a get a wave/turbulence....
Do you guys do this or do you run it deeper so there is no wave.. ????
Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 PM

I have mine 2.5 inches below, but I turn the knobs 1-2 clicks so that I get water turbulence.

when I tried a vertical placement, I had them in the middle so I could capture as much as possible of the sand bed and top.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 PM

brisco is on a distinguished road

Mine is 3 inches down but tilted slightly up to it creates surface turbulence. I find that if I place it any higher up it sucks in a vortex of air.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:54 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have a XF150 that is about 1" below the surface horizontally on one end of my 36" tank. It runs in pulse mode - about 10 seconds on/off at 60%. My tank is 98% SPS, but the LPS that are in there (Torch, Frogspawn, Pectinia, Open Brain) are in sheltered areas where they can deal with the flow. If I turn the Gyre off the LPS inflate more, but screw them, they are just LPS.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 PM

So ive tried horizontally on the back of my tank. i tried one vertical and the other horizontal on the same side of the tank as coralvue suggested, but i find it works best both horizontally on either side of the tank. im currently trying out pulse mode, but might switch back to alt gyre mode. just trying t find teh best set up to avoid cyano building up on my gravel
Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default me

alt gyre mode just makes a mess in my opinion....
pulse,,, ,,, I'm going to get the new controller and pulse in one direction,,, with the other one running at minimal,, for a while and then reverse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann View Post
So ive tried horizontally on the back of my tank. i tried one vertical and the other horizontal on the same side of the tank as coralvue suggested, but i find it works best both horizontally on either side of the tank. im currently trying out pulse mode, but might switch back to alt gyre mode. just trying t find teh best set up to avoid cyano building up on my gravel