Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM

sonny is on a distinguished road
Default Whats your Temperture & why

I stuck my hand in my tank yesterday noticed it was cold ( 71 ), I have a Profilux 3 which sends me an email if temp drops 2 degrees but I had turned off the alarm for some reason and never turned it back on duh? Anyway lucky escape for me all is well now. So I was doing some research and found an article http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html stating the temp should be higher around 82 -84 for corals as they thrive better at higher temp. I keep my tank at 78.8 how about you ? my corals do alright but I wouldn't say they thrive
Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Corals definitely grow faster at higher temperatures. My old halide-lit SPS tank used to stay at 83-86F and it grew SPS like weeds. My current tank I kept at 78F for about a year, and about 8 months ago I guess, I turned it up to 80F and noticed faster growth. I started adding NO3 and PO4 at that time too, so it's tough to say what helped most. Everything grows faster at higher temps though - such as algae.

87-88F is where corals start dying if the corals are used to being 84 or 85F, but if the corals are used to 78F-ish, then a relatively quick rise to 86F will usually start causing demise. What the corals are used to is the biggest thing, sudden rise is never good. What I've noticed in tanks kept at high temperatures like my old tank is that being so close to the danger zone means the tank is very high energy - high fuel. It's like gasoline VS jet fuel.

Now that you posted this though, that reminded me that I want to turn my tank up to 82F and see how it does. For client tanks, I keep them at 78-79F because lower energy, "lower fuel" tanks are easier to maintain imo.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I've always kept my tank at 78-80 with respect to lights on, but this summer I may set my chiller to kick on later at 85, definately something to ponder as I wouldn't mind faster growing sps

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Sorry I hate Fahrenheit so I'll talk Celsius my tank is set at 26-28 degrees

I've found that this is the best temperature range for my tank inhabitants everything maintains a good balance and decent growth rates if I go higher I end up with algae blooms and during the summer months I find it much easier to regulate tank temperatures and during the winter months it maintains a relatively steady temperature varying less than a degree
Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default C vs F

using Fahrenheit is gooder IMHO,, more granular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Sorry I hate Fahrenheit so I'll talk Celsius my tank is set at 26-28 degrees

I've found that this is the best temperature range for my tank inhabitants everything maintains a good balance and decent growth rates if I go higher I end up with algae blooms and during the summer months I find it much easier to regulate tank temperatures and during the winter months it maintains a relatively steady temperature varying less than a degree
Old 01-24-2017, 06:23 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

My tank is set for 26 Celsius (usually 26.3 on digital thermometer). My heaters vary by a couple degrees but I have yet to see it really move lower then 25.5. I find the my fish and coral are happy at this temperature and the only time it fluctuates any more then previously described is water changes.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Reefadiction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Corals definitely grow faster at higher temperatures. My old halide-lit SPS tank used to stay at 83-86F and it grew SPS like weeds. My current tank I kept at 78F for about a year, and about 8 months ago I guess, I turned it up to 80F and noticed faster growth. I started adding NO3 and PO4 at that time too, so it's tough to say what helped most. Everything grows faster at higher temps though - such as algae.

87-88F is where corals start dying if the corals are used to being 84 or 85F, but if the corals are used to 78F-ish, then a relatively quick rise to 86F will usually start causing demise. What the corals are used to is the biggest thing, sudden rise is never good. What I've noticed in tanks kept at high temperatures like my old tank is that being so close to the danger zone means the tank is very high energy - high fuel. It's like gasoline VS jet fuel.

Now that you posted this though, that reminded me that I want to turn my tank up to 82F and see how it does. For client tanks, I keep them at 78-79F because lower energy, "lower fuel" tanks are easier to maintain imo.
Mika is 100% right! I was running sps tank with halide at 81 to 82f. Acros were thriving! I had to trim them every 6 weeks; but when it crashed...it crashed hard and fast. Everything thrives in warm temp including evil bacteria and algae.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:57 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

24.5c. Why? It's where I decided was optimal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Sorry I hate Fahrenheit so I'll talk Celsius
Aquarium temperature is measured in Fahrenheit, unless you are in Europe. Please move to the appropriate continent if you wish to discuss further.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:31 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I think in Celsius as well!

Technically aquarium temps are measured in which ever units your measuring device is set to read..

For those that need help converting.. google is you friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk