Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 01-03-2017, 03:56 AM

zhasan is on a distinguished road
Default COLD WEATHER ISSUES

Hi All,

Due to limited space, I have to setup my water station in the garage. I live in Lac La Biche and temperature reaches 30 below and more during winter. This would certainly result in frozen RODI water in the barrel.

Is there a way I can keep RODI water in the garage without having to run a heater? would running a pump intermittently do the trick? Objective is to save cost while keeping ample water supply for top off and emergencies.

I'm curious to see how others manage this.

Thanks,

Zee
Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I'm not too sure, you would need some serious circulation to keep the water from freezing in the barrel. As far as heat goes, I'm not sure if you can get away running a heater as the heat loss would be significant and the heater would run nonstop.

I'm sure some of the reefer gurus will come up with some alternatives if this cannot be accomplished.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I think you'd need something like a pond or livestock trough heater and a pump. I don't think there is a way to do it energy efficiently. It would probably cost you less to go buy 5-gallon jugs at the grocery store. The other thing, are you planning to run the RO/DI in the garage too? If it freezes, it will crack.

Are you moved permanently to Lac La Biche? I could change your location for you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:08 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

During the winter, instead of keeping rodi water on hand, why not produce the water just before you do the water change? I do that all the time anyways, as it only takes 1 day to produce enough rodi water for a water change. And just keep a bucket in the house, enough for evaporation replenishment.

I assume your rodi must be in the house, as no way it could work in -30.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM

ramasule is on a distinguished road

You will need major insulation and heaters.

Best to do what Pilot said and make it before you need it.

My recommendation would be to get one of those hang on float valves and let it drain into a bucket that you are using that is sitting over a drain preferably.

https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-AEO19.../dp/B00BUFV2GK
Old 01-03-2017, 05:15 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Couple of options.

1) A large enough volume with sufficient motion may not freeze. You would have to do the calculations to double check.

2) Build an insulated "mini-shed" around the storage containers and combine it with the pump and you will need a lot less energy. Again, need to do some calculations to make sure.

3) The "mini-shed" plus a heater on a timer, just enough to keep from freezing.

All of this and you are still going to have to do a lot to heat the water up for any significant water change or top off.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 PM

lyall12 is on a distinguished road

Is the garage insulated and in use?

I'm in Calgary with an attached insulated garage. We don't have a heater of any sort in the garage, and nothing ever freezes in it. Heat transfer from the house and vehicle is always enough to keep it above freezing and melt snow/ice off of car overnight.

What about using a large cooler combined with a small heater?

I know some coolers can be very efficient at keeping temperatures stable. Some claim to keep ice solid for a week. Throw a small heater in and you may be set indefinitely.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
During the winter, instead of keeping rodi water on hand, why not produce the water just before you do the water change? I do that all the time anyways, as it only takes 1 day to produce enough rodi water for a water change. And just keep a bucket in the house, enough for evaporation replenishment.

I assume your rodi must be in the house, as no way it could work in -30.
I thought of that.. but I fear the time when I need to do a sudden water change. My RODI takes forever to produce too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Couple of options.

1) A large enough volume with sufficient motion may not freeze. You would have to do the calculations to double check.

2) Build an insulated "mini-shed" around the storage containers and combine it with the pump and you will need a lot less energy. Again, need to do some calculations to make sure.

3) The "mini-shed" plus a heater on a timer, just enough to keep from freezing.

All of this and you are still going to have to do a lot to heat the water up for any significant water change or top off.

Charles
Thanks Charles. Agree with all your points. Have considered building an insulated closet in the garage.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I think you'd need something like a pond or livestock trough heater and a pump. I don't think there is a way to do it energy efficiently. It would probably cost you less to go buy 5-gallon jugs at the grocery store. The other thing, are you planning to run the RO/DI in the garage too? If it freezes, it will crack.

Are you moved permanently to Lac La Biche? I could change your location for you.
The plan is to run the RO/DI in the garage. The garage is insulated however it get pretty darn cold in there to the point where things start freezing.

I'm also looking at the possibility of running the RO/DI inside the house and run the line from the wall out to the garage.

Yes, please update my location. The move is permanent for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyall12 View Post
Is the garage insulated and in use?

I'm in Calgary with an attached insulated garage. We don't have a heater of any sort in the garage, and nothing ever freezes in it. Heat transfer from the house and vehicle is always enough to keep it above freezing and melt snow/ice off of car overnight.

What about using a large cooler combined with a small heater?

I know some coolers can be very efficient at keeping temperatures stable. Some claim to keep ice solid for a week. Throw a small heater in and you may be set indefinitely.
You've given me something to think about and work with here.

Garage is insulated.

It is in use. I park my car inside and the snow is gone by the morning.

After reading your post I paid attention to the floor and the water is not frozen or icy.

What I've noticed is that.. I have a bottle of Olive oil that seems frozen or atleast by the looks of it.. maybe its just curdy now. The pop cans don't freeze at all but they are chilled to the maxx.

I'm thinking If I insulate the water containers and build a small insulated cabinet for the RO/DI I may be able to get away in the -30 plus weather.