Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-26-2017, 06:32 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
So everyone seems to like 78... mins is 76.1. Is there any advantage to upping it a bit more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure of the exact science, but from what I know, fish live longer in colder temps, and coral grows faster in higher temps. I'm considering raising my temp to 80 as a test.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

So I decided I wanted to try running my tank at 82F for awhile and see how it goes. I just bought a NIST-certified thermometer so I can calibrate client's thermometers accurately. So I check my tank - tank thermometer reads 80F on the dot. NIST thermometer reads 81.8F. So I guess I'm pretty much at 82F already.

So, I guess we should all take each person's listed temperature with a grain of salt!

I've also discovered something, from my testing so far (about 4 of each type), generally the digital thermometers are more accurate than the "mercury-type" thermometers.

NIST thermometer = best $40 spent recently.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

Where did you pick up the NIST thermometer ?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So everyone seems to like 78... mins is 76.1. Is there any advantage to upping it a bit more?

A few posts up said that running it at 82 and above grew corals faster as the metabolism is raised but the downside is if you are suffering from algae problems then this is accelerated aswell. The other issue with running higher is less room for mistakes, you may also start to bleach corals at 86 and above so this is a really fine line.

With that said this summer I will try and run my tank at 80-82 to see if that makes any difference in growth, it will also probably not run the chiller and heater as much.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-26-2017, 05:58 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default fast grow

faster growing corals are going to have pale browner colors....
Old 01-27-2017, 05:45 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

+1 !!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Interesting to note: When using the NIST thermometer to compare to client in-tank thermometers, ALL in-tank thermometers read LOWER than the NIST thermometer. I'm not sure if that is just fluke, or if that's typical (will need to do a lot more testing), but it's certainly a good thing to make note of. This evidence suggests, that if anything, your tank is warmer than you think it is.

Quote:
There are several options on Amazon.ca under $100. Search Amazon.ca, "NIST thermometer", and you will see many options. Also try "traceable thermometer" and you will get even more results.

I bought this one. It looks different than the pic though. There is an on/off button, and a C/F button. The temperature settles pretty quick too. It's only accurate to +/- 1C though, so I might try to find a bit more accurate one next time.

This one is accurate to 0.2C for $80, and I'll probably give it a shot for my next one.

Ooooh, look at this one! Option of waterproof probe sensors, accuracy to 0.3C, and alarms settable to 0.1C increments! $105. Or, use your aquarium controller and calibrate with a cheaper NIST thermometer.

For $40, I figure I can replace it yearly or so rather than get it recalibrated. I haven't found anywhere to recalibrate it, and I imagine it would cost more than $40 anyway...?? For someone keeping it in the house, it probably doesn't need calibration as often, but mine will be in the car all year round and exposed to temperatures -40C to probably 50C in the car in the summer. i know my refractometer doesn't even keep calibration for a week in the winter when it's super cold.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-27-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I just use the temp probe that came with my Apex. Seems to be very accurate and shows degrees down to one decimal place. The temp is displayed in nice large font on my display in the sump room, as well as on my my computer, and can also check it remotely away from home on my phone or ipad.

Plus being connected to the Apex I also use it to control my heater and my DIY chiller (better and cheaper than anything you can buy) in the summer.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot
I just use the temp probe that came with my Apex. Seems to be very accurate and shows degrees down to one decimal place.
Unless you use a NIST thermometer to calibrate, accuracy is just speculation. Maybe it is accurate, maybe it isn't. How long is it accurate for? Not forever.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have only calibrated (although not recently) with other regular thermometers, and at the least it has always been consistent. Have there been reports of Apex temp probes being inaccurate or changing?

I do have a 2nd Apex temp probe (spare) that I could try to see if it is the same.

But like I said, hard to beat the functionality and usefulness of the Apex temp probe. Not to mention, it comes with the Apex, which many people use as their controller.