Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you say "Merry Christmas"?
Yes 122 93.13%
No 9 6.87%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2016, 08:34 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Do you people actually know anyone who told you they were offended by you saying "Merry Christmas" or are you just sensitive to the issue when someone uses a different greeting?

Here's the thing (maybe I live a sheltered existence but I kinda doubt it) I've never known anyone to be offended by the phrase. But on the flip side I know a LOT of people who seem to feel defensive about this or at least needing to emphasize that it "should" be "Merry Christmas".

Say Merry Christmas if it makes you happy. But if someone uses a different greeting to you .. maybe just be happy that they made the effort to say something nice to you. Isn't that more along the spirit of the season anyhow?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Do you people actually know anyone who told you they were offended by you saying "Merry Christmas" or are you just sensitive to the issue when someone uses a different greeting?
A client where i used to work tore a strip out of us for saying Merry Christmas and offering him a flyer for Pet photos with Santa. He didnt celebrate christmas and he made sure we knew that after what we said. Appearently we were supposed to be psychic and know he was jewish and not say such horrid offensive words to him.

These people do exist.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:40 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I do not have religious bone in my body nor believe in any faiths however with that being said there is nothing wrong with saying "Merry Christmas" it's just words after all

For me Christmas has been and always will be for the kids for them it's a magical time of the year it's adults that ruin it for everybody else IMO
Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 PM

Dendromad is on a distinguished road

I say Merry Christmas always have and always will. I don't mind others saying Happy Holidays what I mind is all the Christmas stuff getting put up in f'ing October and November!!!!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My post was in response to Kien's posting about how his "kids school is one of those highly politically correct schools that have banned "Christmas"." To me that's just wrong. I'd be one of those crazy parents who protests this sort of PC heavy handedness if it happened at my kids' school. Fortunately, the admin and teachers at Brantford Elementary are not PC Nazis.

Anthony
Old 11-29-2016, 02:49 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I sure do. I don't see why anyone should be offended. It's just a generic greeting used around Christmas time. And since December 25 is an official stat holiday labeled as Christmas your just wishing them a good day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yep, more than once.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

You know, I can't actually remember seeing anyone being offended by either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I am sure it happens, though. I will use either depending on whom I am addressing (even though I am not known to be a PC kind of guy).

But having worked in retail most of my life, I understand the fine line that front line people have to straddle sometimes with this subject. And in many cases, their employers instruct them to say Happy Holidays, so they have no choice. So hopefully no one gets offended by them just trying to do their jobs as best they can.

And wonder if this subject will always come up this time of year,... over and over and over.... Maybe we are all too sensitive..., or just don't have something better to do than comment on this subject (like me, haha).
Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

My family has been in North America for 7 generations, and in Canada for 5.

Merry Christmas is a way of life.
If you don't like it, go stuff yourself.
This is CANADA and we celebrate CHRISTMAS

I'm not a xenophobe, but you better get used to it , or I will become one ...

Last edited by gregzz4; 11-30-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

aarg
double post