Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

I watched the linked video. I think at this point I'm comfortable calling out the OP as someone making a concerted effort at fame and fortune. She may have a reef tank, she may or may not have had the crash described, but I have the creepy feeling of being scammed.

She does posts like this here and on RC that I know of; starts a thread that invites attention always with a link to some video she's made. The information is always super basic, and occasionally questionable. For example, in this video she suggests that after 1 hour without power the O2 levels crashed to the point that most of her fish died. I highly doubt that the tank pictured in the video would suffer that effect after 1 hour. She also suggests that after an hour without power the bacteria would start dieting off. Please. She also says the temp dropped to 22 (from what she doesn't say though) in 4 hours. The tank pictured is big. Unless the house was freezing that's pretty fast to cool off. And even if it did, 22 is not that cold. It's not ideal, but fish would be fine. Then she says she tore the rock apart to get the fish bodies she couldn't scoop up with a net, including a scooter blenny? That makes no sense. Who here would tear up their 180+g tank to scoop out a fish body you couldn't find?

She ends her video with a really unconvincing suggestion that she's so affected by this tragedy her future in the hobby is uncertain, with the shameless suggestion to stay tuned to the next video to hear what her decision is! Helpfully included in her comments on the video is a link to a site where you can give her cash.

This OP never engages in these threads beyond the first post. This is not someone seeking to share or engage with like minded hobbyists. This is someone looking for attention and money.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

I don't trust check valves either, but some tanks require one & they need to be acid soaked frequently to ensure they are clean...
Old 05-16-2016, 06:23 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

I agree, seems fishy (pardon the pun)
We were without power for 66 hours last year, my temp dropped from 26-22 over a period of 12 hours (this was in fall so ambient temp wasn't too cold )
Since then we've had another 3 power outs (gotta love these windstorms) and I've had the tank dip to 15 over winter-everything made it through no trouble. As long as the change is gradual your livestock will adapt.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I had an electrician wire in a generator plug and bought a big generator that will run my whole house. Plus I'm looking into solar power panels as well.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

To the people here doubting I am willing to give the benefit of doubt as Depending on what is in the tank I have read and watched on youtube (In fast time of course) tanks that crashed in a matter of hours to those that took 2 or 3 days to crash.

Most of us have experienced some sort of tank crash at some point in our career hell I've lost count the amount of fish and coral I've lost through various means including crashes

Shiiit happens we deal with it and hopefully rebuild
Old 05-17-2016, 02:56 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with Ian. I have watched the OPs YouTube videos and the fact that she started the thread and never came back to post again makes me suspect that it is all about hits to her YouTube channel. I do feel bad that she may have had a tank crash, however I am wondering why she has not been back.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:46 AM

ComfortablyNumb is on a distinguished road

I agree with Treebeard and Ian. And don't even bother to post questions for her like the guy on the first page did. She's posts her vids on about 75 other sites around the world, from Singapore to London. All with links to her donation page.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 05-17-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:09 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

We had a 48 hours power outage and my tank was out of power for 12 hours before I put the pumps back on, unfortunately I can only run the pumps and the water temp dropped to 21 degrees and everthing still made it through....not sure if ammonia would set in that just 3-4 hours. It just doesn't make sense....even all my Sps pulled through and I have a lot of Sps with abandonce of fish. Obviously what happened to ops tank is heartbreaking and I feel bad for her but this is the hobby we have chosen, never said it was gonna be easy. Brush it off and start again, it's kinda fun to restock anyways, probably a good time to have a backup plan too....🙊

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 AM

Cabinetman is on a distinguished road

I agree. Something ain't right. I don't doubt she had a mass die off but I don't thing 4 hours without power did it. I've got 3 times the bioload and I've had power go out for half a day before and I lost nothing. Id like to know what really happened.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

My jaw was dropped the entire video in sadness of what happened, until she said to check out her next video to find out her decision! That second I was like... Mmmmm No.

No doubt she posted this for the views and revenue from YouTube. That and nearly all the forums and then never responds as others have mentioned.