Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-29-2016, 04:33 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I can't seem to find any info on Aquaforest's website about Coral A, B, E, V but it seems like that is what is available through Amazon. Coral A is amino acids and on the Aquaforest website they have AF Amino Mix instead. Have all these products been replaced and Amazon just doesn't carry the new line? Is there a reference chart somewhere that lists the counterparts and a recommended schedule?
Scroll back to post #228 where I explain it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 AM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Nice improvements Myka. I have alot of trouble taking photos with my Samsung S5 so I dont usually bother any more.

Hey for your component 1+ 2+ 3+ the Alk seems to be sodium bicarbonate rather then Sodium Carbonate according to the dose/dkh rise. Am I right in assuming this? Its another reason I stick with my own mix as I like to use soda ash which ends up being about 1/2 the liquid dose of sodium bicarbonate. If I'm dosing 85mls right now id probably be dosing closer to 170mls of Component 1+ 2+ 3+ and it would end up being very pricey.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:09 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Scroll back to post #228 where I explain it.
Found it, thanks! Any idea if they changed the formulas or just the names?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Found it, thanks! Any idea if they changed the formulas or just the names?
Just the names
Old 05-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Nice improvements Myka. I have alot of trouble taking photos with my Samsung S5 so I dont usually bother any more.

Hey for your component 1+ 2+ 3+ the Alk seems to be sodium bicarbonate rather then Sodium Carbonate according to the dose/dkh rise. Am I right in assuming this? Its another reason I stick with my own mix as I like to use soda ash which ends up being about 1/2 the liquid dose of sodium bicarbonate. If I'm dosing 85mls right now id probably be dosing closer to 170mls of Component 1+ 2+ 3+ and it would end up being very pricey.
Yes, it's bicarb. Component 1+2+3+ is NOT cost effective. It really only makes sense for nano tanks and new tanks where the demand isn't very high yet (like mine). Some people go through the Component 1+2+3+ in like 3 weeks, and by my calculations that's like $1000 a year.

As far as I know, when you buy the AF Calcium, KH Buffer, and Magnesium powders they are just raw materials - the same as most other powder recipes, and nothing special. However, if you're using "raw" materials, you should also be using the Reef Mineral Salt and the Components Strong for all the heavy metal and microelement additions.

Component 1+2+3+ is equal to:

RO/DI, Calcium chloride, Sodium bicarbonate, Magnesium (I'm not sure on the sulfate/chloride mix), Reef Mineral Salt, and Components Strong all mixed together in RO/DI in three handy totes.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:52 PM

OK that's what I thought. I buy bulk soda ash and calcium chloride from reefsupplies Canada then buy the AF mineral salt and component strong for balling method. I dose magnesium by hand when needed.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 AM

spedly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's exactly what I was getting at when I asked how you were calibrating. I'm glad you found the issue.

Also, if your RO/DI isn't perfect, using it for the Hanna Calcium Checker will throw those numbers off too. I recommend using distilled water in the Calcium Checker.
Well I'm at a loss...

After discovering that my salinity was off I have spent the past couple of weeks getting it back up to normal levels. After a water change today, I calibrated my refractometer with the Pinpoint solution and measured the salinity in my tank at 1.025. Not the 1.026 I was hoping for but definitely within reason.

A couple of hours later I went to the grocery store to buy a jug of distilled water then used my Hanna checker to measure calcium and.....381. Hrmph. I feel like I'm back where I'm started. I'm still not seeing calcium levels others are seeing.

There are three variables that might be throwing stuff off:

- Pinpoint solution. Does this stuff expire? It's a couple of years old but was never opened until two weeks ago. Should it be shaken before use?

- Refractometer. Should I compare it at the LFS? Is it "spoiled" since I've only used RO/DI for calibration up to this point?

- Bad batch of salt mix? I'm at the end of the current bucket and will have to open a new bucket next week. Maybe wait and see what I measure from that before taking next steps?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious or maybe just have a bad batch of salt.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 AM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
... - Refractometer. Should I compare it at the LFS? Is it "spoiled" since I've only used RO/DI for calibration up to this point?
Bingo! Although not spoiled, you can recalibrate it.

Give this a read and step away from the RO/DI!

Buy some calibration fluid stat!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 AM

spedly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon View Post
Bingo! Although not spoiled, you can recalibrate it.

Give this a read and step away from the RO/DI!

Buy some calibration fluid stat!
Thanks Jordon. I should have been more clear. Up until two weeks ago I had only used RO/DI water for calibration. But I am using American Marine Pinpoint calibration fluid now. I'm measuring 1.025 salinity now (up from 1.021) but am still measuring lower than expected calcium levels.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:51 AM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Thanks Jordon. I should have been more clear. Up until two weeks ago I had only used RO/DI water for calibration. But I am using American Marine Pinpoint calibration fluid now. I'm measuring 1.025 salinity now (up from 1.021) but am still measuring lower than expected calcium levels.
Oh gotcha!

Have you tested both freshly mixed salt water and your tank? I'm at a loss why the Calcium would be so low. Have you tried a different test kit?

I have the Hanna Calcium checker, and always get results all over the place. I think unless the Distilled water is "lab grade" its contaminants can mess up the results.