Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-19-2007, 08:20 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road
Default For those who don't think spelling is important

Just a story...we lived in Canmore in the early 90's. I had to continually walk by this restaurant with it's neon sign "restuarant". I mentioned it to them as often as I could....usually got a blank stare.

They are gone now...

I don't correct spelling or grammer without good intent. I had to re-teach my children for the most part, as the school system failed them. They are in pretty good shape now, I think.

A lot of people on here now are young, but don't try to silence the elders. We may seem harsh, but we mean well...
Old 08-19-2007, 02:05 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

I had to continually walk by this restaurant with it's neon sign "restuarant"

so whitch word was it
sorry Deb couldn't resist
Old 08-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

As an academic tutor, I read a lot of papers written by students who don't seem to realize that spelling is essential in the real world. I've had to correct resumes & cover letters for countless young people who failed to get past the initial interview or to even get an interview and I had to point out the fact that incorrect spelling is the fastest way to lose the interest of potential employers. After all, if you're not willing to put in the effort on your resume, then what can they expect from you if you get the job. Spelling errors are also a killer on marks at school, especially at the college/university level & a quick way to lose 10-20%. I know because for four years I was a Teaching Assistant at UBC & I had to "teach" many of these 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year Engineering students the need to put in more effort on writing a good lab report, including proper spelling. During my time at UBC, the best compliments I received were from Engineering profs who would actually come up to me and mention how they could usually tell which of their students had taken my lab courses, since they were among the few who could write proper lab reports & paid attention to details like grammar & spelling.

I know that when you're in high school there are a lot more "important" things to worry about than spelling, but bad spelling becomes a life-long bad habit that can really hurt your chances of success later in life, both academically and when you get into the working world.

Writing on the boards is different, but even here, if the spelling is really bad, many of the more experienced reefers will ignore the post & you'll lose out on learning from their experiences.

Anthony
Old 08-19-2007, 02:42 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I have to be one of the worlds worst spellers! Without spell check to save me I'm often looking up words in the dictionary, which is painfully slow and annoying. Even though I know I can't spell worth a darn I make sure I take the time to try to spell correctly, mostly because I hate seeing a word I spelled spelled wrong but also because I don't want others to think I'm dumb and can't even spell right. FYI there is about 4 words above that spell check caught me spelling wrong
Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

I know that at the bank I work at, if we receive a resume with a grammatical error it is tossed.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Hmm, how many people won't reply to this thread in fear of actually spelling something incorrectly? Remember, spell check can be wrong to <(too)

BoB, you here somewhere?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:35 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf View Post
Hmm, how many people won't reply to this thread in fear of actually spelling something incorrectly? Remember, spell check can be wrong to <(too)

BoB, you here somewhere?
I'm not going to respond, I don't have spell check.... and isn't it supposed to be boB

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

I went to an asian restaurant in Richmond that had their daily specials in chinese characters on one side and in english on the other. The "Special" dish included soup, bowel of rice, and coffee or tea.
I ordered the special just to see how they would serve a bowel of rice and fortunately it was just white rice served in a regular bowl without any "off-colored" rice grains nor scent of Pinesol.
My friend explained the definition of "bowel" to the waitress who turned very bright red and promptly removed all the special menus from the table.
I felt rather privileged to be the last person to order the special that day.

Last edited by Chin_Lee; 08-19-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: SPELLING ERROR...................WHAT ELSE
Old 08-19-2007, 05:27 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road
Default I dont thinc speling is a bad problum. !!

who neds speling wen you have cumputors doing all the werk this day. Huked on foniks werked fer me!!!!

Last edited by atcguy; 08-19-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

Well I am one of the worst spellers, but also an aspiring writer.
My quote is "Never let your inability to write interfere with your ability to tell a story."

The right words and spelling are what editors are for.