Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 AM

Acrowhora is on a distinguished road

I've seen a video on youtube about a guy using xenia to export excess nutrients,and it seems to work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfp75 View Post
I am currently using a phosban 150 for carbon and rowaphos combined.....

I am going to be only running carbon starting next month to see if I can increase my phosphates a bit. I have chaeto and barely grows... My po4 is 0, if I can increase my po4 a bit then my chaeto will grow and consume the po4 and some no3. I am also going to try growing Xenia as a nutrient export!!! It grows faster than algae.

So... Depending on how high or if you want some po4 at all should deturnine what your gonna do.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I do the same
My Carbon and GFO are on a 2 weeks-apart schedule so I get a break, and I don't change either close to each other

BRS has a calculator you might find useful
Same schedule here
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I recently had one tank with very high phosphates (1.0+), and needed to bring it down, so I could combine it with my other tank (zero phosphates) into a single sump. I was using GFO, but it was too slow.

I then got some Foz Down from Tim, and was able to bring it down in a controlled fashion over 3 weeks, so I didn't shock my system too much. It worked, and I was able to combine my tanks without upsetting my other (SPS) tank. I still have to supplement some Foz Down once in a while, as my GFO alone still can't maintain zero phosphates with the combined tanks. I guess there is still some leaching happening.

But Foz Down certainly worked for me, so I can definitely recommend it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrowhora View Post
I'm currently using BRS GFO HC to lower my P04 and keeping it at zero inconjuction with Probio Biodigest and Bioptim.you can also use Rowaphos but use a small amount at a time,as you do not want to shock your inhabitants.
Interesting, I recently read that Prodibio was supposed to eliminate the need for GFO ? Doesn't prodibio alone strip phosphates without the need for GFO?

Anyway.. I run a TLF with HC GFO as well. I used to use Rowaphos but it was a royal pain in the arse to rinse before each use. HC GFO (from BRS) rinses clean in half the time (probably less) that it took to rinse Rowaphos. If you're going to run GFO in a reactor do yourself a favour and use HC GFO from BRS
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 PM

Graham_f is on a distinguished road

ha, one day and so much advice.
I picked up a phosban reactor and some gfo after work today and i'll get that system up and running tonight. I plan on taking it slow, dont want to shock anything since the coral are all doing pretty good right now. Just a little excess algee.

i'll look into that hc gfo for later, but until then i'll just give the normal stuff a little extra time to work.

this forum is great
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Acrowhora is on a distinguished road

It's only been a month and a half since i started dosing Biodigest and bioptim.after 30 days i checked for P04 it was still readable(hanna checker)so,i started using BRS GFO again,keeps the P04 in checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Interesting, I recently read that Prodibio was supposed to eliminate the need for GFO ? Doesn't prodibio alone strip phosphates without the need for GFO?

Anyway.. I run a TLF with HC GFO as well. I used to use Rowaphos but it was a royal pain in the arse to rinse before each use. HC GFO (from BRS) rinses clean in half the time (probably less) that it took to rinse Rowaphos. If you're going to run GFO in a reactor do yourself a favour and use HC GFO from BRS
Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes will do both nitrates and phosphates.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/pl...8250ml%29.html
No feeding no stirring. And you can use it in the Phosban reactor or any area with high flow.

from J&L's web page

BIO-Cubes are made from 100% biologically degradable polymers that effectively remove both nitrates and phosphates from both marine and freshwater systems. BIO-Cubes have a very high surface area and contains 400% more carbohydrates than any other brand, making it the best product of it�s kind in the world. Independent testing in real world scenarios, have proven BIO-Cubes to far outperform all other competing products. No other product of it�s kind can compare with the explosive performance that BIO-Cubes can offer. BIO-Cubes are very versatile and can be used in filter bags and fluidized reactors. BIO-Cubes require no maintenance and require no feeding dosages making it the easiest and most convenient nitrate and phosphate removing product on the market. Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes comes with a free filter bag with every jar.

Bacteria consume the high carbohydrate source found in the BIO-Cubes and form a biomass that absorbs nitrates and phosphates from the water in the aquarium. This biomass is then skimmed out with a protein skimmer or is consumed as a food source by corals and clams.

When culturing bacteria, two of the most important factors that will determine the size of the colony are surface area and food source. BIO-Cubes look like small open celled sponges giving the product a massive surface area. BIO-Cubes also has 400% more biologically available, insoluble polymer carbohydrates than any other product in the world. These 2 factors create conditions that are perfect for culturing and sustaining large bacteria colonies required to effectively remove phosphate and nitrate from aquariums. It is these 2 factors that have made Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes the world�s best carbohydrate based nitrate removing media. Independent tests that were performed in real world scenarios revealed that BIO-Cubes had the ability to reduce nitrate levels from 60ppm to below 5ppm in 2 weeks while competing products claim to only start working after 2 weeks!

Features

The world's fastest and most effective carbohydrate based nitrate remover
More economical and effective than any other product of it's kind in the world... nothing can compare!
Reduces 50ppm Nitrate to 0ppm within 3 weeks in Freshwater and Seawater systems
Easy and convenient to use, no daily feedings or dosings, just add as directed and enjoy 4-12 months Nitrate free water!
100% natural, biological Nitrate removal
No effect on pH or alkalinity
MASSIVELY reduces water changes
250ml jar treats approximately 20-60 gallons