Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 04-06-2003, 05:57 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu_principle
Don't all the fish stores and wholesalers use some type Cu product ?
I don't know, I just know that J&L do and I think Paul mentioned it sometime ago too. I know some places have live rock in with their fish so I assume they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu_principle
Come on Troy, tell us what you think.....
You don't really want that do you?

lusus naturae
Old 04-06-2003, 06:07 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy
Holy smokes, Don't ask me.... I have trouble remembering the ships in my squadron
well if you were on the Yukon, there would also be the Qu'appelle, the Mackenzie and the saskatchewan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
I was on the New Glasgow. She was probably turned into Japanese razor blades before your ships were built.
Damn your going back a ways.. must make you about 80ish by the way, thanks for the e-mail, made my day

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:30 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Yep the Mac and the Sask.. barely remember the Apple though.. I probably never got drunk on her...but there was this one ship from New Zealand... wow, good rum
Old 04-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

hey mason,
if you make educated purchases and choose healthy specimens, a fish from any of the above mentioned stores should be fine.
i think JL has an edge b/c they deal with strictly saltwater.
but i have seen healthy, interesting specimens at the other stores as well.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:10 PM

terryp01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to terryp01

Not that I live in Vancouver or am part of the Reef Club but I thought I would post a reply.

The interesting fact is most LFS purchase their fish from the same sources. You will find some that buy from some unheard of wholeseller or can get really rare fish but they all ususally have a commen vendor. I have purchased many fish since 1999 wholesale from the same vendors. IME, what makes for the best fish is one that is not bagged for too long.

There is a particular vendor that ships the same day you order and I can usually have them in my tanks the same day (around midnight). I have never lost many fish this way. However, the same vendor shipped some fish and the airline bumped the cargo in Arizona and they arrived around 3:00 pm the next day. What wasn't dead when I received died within 24 hours.

I think Troy hit the nail on the head. What makes a good fish store is not price. While, as a hobbiest and website owner, price is very important to drive the business and my pocketbook, it can also cost you thousands of dollars (that would be millions in Canadian ).

I quarantine every fish (even the three dollar ones) a MINIMUM of two weeks before I sell them. Think that increases the cost of fish to my clients? (HINT: YES). However, if the fish dies after leaving my tank I can guarantee that it was not due to an illness.

I, like other people, also have a tendency to want to see the fish or coral in my tank as soon as possible. However, I know the minute I put an unquarantined fish in my tank, the risk is mine and shame on me.

To answer the previous post about all LFS using Cu, I cannot speak about Canadian stores but the ones I visit do not. Some fish cannot tolerate copper and would be dead in a matter of hours if exposed. There are numerous ways to battle the diseases and not all are chemical.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:44 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I quarantine every fish (even the three dollar ones) a MINIMUM of two weeks before I sell them. Think that increases the cost of fish to my clients? (HINT: YES). However, if the fish dies after leaving my tank I can guarantee that it was not due to an illness.
It may increase the cost of the fish, but that is still less than losing two $25.00 fish within two weeks of buying them, before getting one that lived. In my case I would rather have paid $50.00 (okay $2.00 US ) for one , and have it live than $75.00 for three of which only one lived.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-06-2003, 04:53 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp01

...it can also cost you thousands of dollars (that would be millions in Canadian ).
LOL, I haven't really been paying attention but didn't our dollar come up a couple of pesos recently?

Could you describe your business Terry? Do you/can you ship to Canada?

lusus naturae
Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Terry, do you really have a black-tipped shark for sale??? We never get the cool stuff here!!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:35 PM

terryp01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to terryp01

I do not have any at the present time but they are available.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:33 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
Terry, do you really have a black-tipped shark for sale??? We never get the cool stuff here!!
you just going to keep overflowing your tank till the basement suite fills up and then put a shark down there?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.