Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

It depends on your light to me just telling us its 14000k doesnt tell much. I have mine under a ATI Hybrid Powermodule which is at 50% after 3 months of me raising it up slowly because above 70 it almost instantly bleaches everything. All 3 of mine are on the sand 2 Ultra Maximas and 1 Teardrop. For my very small clams i put them on small pieces of shelf rock i have laying around. Also what are your parameters. Clams need a very stable tank with not much changing, and high calcium. Mine is at 450. I find the two most important params to be Alk and Calc so be sure to check those. Also make sure nothing is picking at them even if there picking at the mantle it may bother them.

Another thing I've learned recently is people clams Hinges are coming apart check that as well people have used simple solutions like velcro for that.

It would also help to know how it was when you first got them.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:32 AM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, my lights are metal halide 250 watt 14000k x2. Also two actinic 92 watts each I think. I run the mh lights for ten hours per day I have tested my calcium and it's at 410 but I am gradually increasing the dose The clam is about five inches by three inches (a chubby one) blue in colour. Hope that helps. Barb
Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 AM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Hmm definitely enough light. how deep is your tank. How old are your bulbs? What are all the other perms? Maybe someone with a bit ore experience could chime in.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Barb, your light is fine, even on the sand. My clam has been under MH, LED and T5, all while on the bottom of the tank. Ca needs to be above 380ish, no need to go higher than your 410.
If the mantle isn't expanding, inspect it at night with a flashlight, looking for small snails around the edge. Almost like small grains of rice.
If you can get a good quality top down pic, that might show something. Maybe pinched mantle, which can be treated by soaking it in fresh water for a while.

As mentioned, make sure you don't move it if it feels attached. That will likely kill it.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Smile

I checked for param snails a couple of times now and havent seen any. it does react whenever a fish swims over it ( all day ) it may tire it out. my lights are old so i will get new bulbs. if i could keep it a few inches off the ground the ss goby wont spit sand on it anymore. my phosphates are high right now since i moved my tank a few months ago. im using seachem to bring it down. thanks for the help
Old 05-31-2014, 03:11 AM

Cool

Got a new light bulb today. what a difference a few years makes