Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Cool, thx. So is the ATI more light in your tank, or just dispersed better? I will have to add a few T5's to my tank too I think. But not ATI LOL, to rich for me. but man, is it ever NICE!!!!!!
Yeah,

I was a bit pricey but it will save on my power bill and also the complaining from my wife that it is too hot in the TV room! lol.

It does put out more light but mainly it puts out light in the exact spectrum that I want for growth and color. I may take RON99's advice and just use a couple small LED's to add a bit of shimmer back in.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road
Default Hanging the fixture

Could post a pic at your ceiling. I am stumped...
Can't figure out how to attached suspensions wires to the ceiling hooks. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workn2hard2day View Post
Could post a pic at your ceiling. I am stumped...
Can't figure out how to attached suspensions wires to the ceiling hooks. Thanks.
I take it you are trying to hang your Powermodule?

If so, I have a good way of doing so with the hanging hardware supplied. A picture of the ceiling won't do much to explain to you how this works...

Give me a call if you like

Ian

Last edited by Oceanic; 11-13-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if the powermodule came with an acrylic or glass bulb shield? I know years ago some people were having problems with the acrylic shields since they would bow down after the lights were on and the fixture's temperature rose. From your pictures it almost looks like ATI switched over to glass but I'm curious to know.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones View Post
Just wondering if the powermodule came with an acrylic or glass bulb shield? I know years ago some people were having problems with the acrylic shields since they would bow down after the lights were on and the fixture's temperature rose. From your pictures it almost looks like ATI switched over to glass but I'm curious to know.
Yes they do come with an acrylic shield. The shield does bow down slightly but I fixed it with a strategically placed metal C-clip. I don't think glass would be a good option as these Powermodules are already heavy enough!!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
Yeah,

I was a bit pricey but it will save on my power bill and also the complaining from my wife that it is too hot in the TV room! lol.

It does put out more light but mainly it puts out light in the exact spectrum that I want for growth and color. I may take RON99's advice and just use a couple small LED's to add a bit of shimmer back in.
what were you running befor that you think you are going to notice a savings? 10 bulbs at 54 watts each is 540 watts plus a bit for the ballast I would say you are up around 555watts. My 250 watt HQIs used about 680 watts so the differance there is only about a few bucks a month if they are run the same amount of time. the overall heat output will be slightly lower but 540 watts of light is still a ton of heat. not as much point source but almost as much radiating into the room.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
what were you running befor that you think you are going to notice a savings? 10 bulbs at 54 watts each is 540 watts plus a bit for the ballast I would say you are up around 555watts. My 250 watt HQIs used about 680 watts so the differance there is only about a few bucks a month if they are run the same amount of time. the overall heat output will be slightly lower but 540 watts of light is still a ton of heat. not as much point source but almost as much radiating into the room.

Steve
My old ballast was a dual 250W HQI M80 type ballast that was a full 9 amps + two 54W T5's = 608 watts of pure heat. The new Powermodule is 5 amps with 540 watts, the heat must be at least 50% less.

My tank now stays a full 2 degrees cooler than before and my heater in on more often. The room itself is way cooler and the cooling fan almost never comes on. Not to mention the chiller will almost never come on now unless it is 35 degrees outside.

I am not sure what the power savings will be but I am sure I will see some. I am actually not too worried about the savings, I am just so happy about the way the tanks looks and the fact it does not bake the room.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
608 watts of pure heat. The new Powermodule is 5 amps with 540 watts, the heat must be at least 50% less.

ok 600 watts of light = 600 watts of heat weather it is MH or CF, or T5, ect.. light is energy and when it stops being light it turnes into heat so you in reality only lowered your heat to the room by 9.5% the difference is the MH is more intense and burns at a hoter temp so it will heat local things more, but the exact same wattage of heat is put out nomater what kind of bulb if the power usage is the same.

now what counts is you like them and are happy with them, I just dont want people to be misinformed by advertising hype that says 600watts of T5's is going to put out less heat to the room or use less energy than 600 watts of MH, or CF, ect.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ok 600 watts of light = 600 watts of heat weather it is MH or CF, or T5, ect.. light is energy and when it stops being light it turnes into heat so you in reality only lowered your heat to the room by 9.5% the difference is the MH is more intense and burns at a hoter temp so it will heat local things more, but the exact same wattage of heat is put out nomater what kind of bulb if the power usage is the same.

now what counts is you like them and are happy with them, I just dont want people to be misinformed by advertising hype that says 600watts of T5's is going to put out less heat to the room or use less energy than 600 watts of MH, or CF, ect.

Steve
Yeah true enough, I am not aware of any such advertising hype on less heat unless you are refering to my observation. I beleive you are correct about the wattage and heat calculation; however, the fixture is cool to the touch, I don't have a big metal ballast that I could cook an egg on, and my chiller has not come on once. My power savings are coming from less use of the chiller and or cooling fans controlled by my reefkeeper. The ballast for the powermodule only draws 5 amps instead of 9 for the hqi ballast.

Yes i am happy with the lights, yes they are cooler for my tank an room.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 PM

staceyd72 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the Powermodule, these are amazing fixtures.
I have the 10 x 80w. I got mine last March from Reefgeek, this was the first 10x80 PM in Canada, I was on the waiting list for three months. Yes, bulbs are expensive, I just received 13 new tubes from reefgeek for $400. I can't find any 80W bulbs in Canada
I have mine set up on a sliding rail, so that it slides back into my fish room, I found this works best as I usually have to fix corals or move something every few days.

You should also raise it for the first month or so to assimilate your corals to the new type of light, as T5's evenly distribute light unlike metal halides, your corals may start to bleach from the new light.

Another idea is to run your fan speed higher instead of 4 switch it to 7 or 7.5(can't remember the exact number off hand). This will help your bulbs run a little cooler. I also have a small fan blowing across the unit's fans.