Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 09-03-2007, 01:39 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

And I agree, if your fish already have ich bad enough, garlic will not cure them. It will help their immune system though and along with copper, is great. If your fish do not have ich, feeding garlic, as PROVEN by my brothers and a few other biologists experiments, will help prevent ich and other parasites from being able to host on your fish. The ich will still be in the tank but if your fish is not stressed and has a strong immune system, it will not kill them.

Copper will rid fish of ich. BUT its really taking a chance with any scaleless fishes, including puffers and boxfish. There are also long term affects that as I said, may not show up right away.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:43 AM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Thats what is good about cuprimine it is not full blown copper, and I have treated my cowfish 2 times with it. I also learned a valuble lesson about haveing a qt tank, treat every fish you buy even if it does not look sick. It is well worth it in the long run, that is if you care about your fish.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
All I am pointing out is people thinking garlic will save there fish from parasites as the fellow that started this link.Think of all the fish that died from using garlic as a cure.I have saved many fish for other hobbyists with copper based medications as long as you treat quickly and correctly

Rob, both times I ever had ich in my tank, I started feeding food soaked in freshly pressed garlic oil, and within 2 days all ich was gone. I never lost a fish and treated only after ich was apparent. Maybe I got lucky, but more likely garlic does assist fish in fighting ich themselves. So not snake oil (they get all ****ed when you squeeze them) but garlic oil. Maybe you've been using the wrong oil?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:22 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default Garlic

I cant understand why they took treats parasites off there label if it works.Could somebody explain this
Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default Garlic

I do believe garlic gets some fish to eat like wd40 and other sents gets salmon to bite and there is probally some food benifet but to tell somebody to risk a fish.Maybe if you cant get your fish out of a reef tank and you have nothing to lose.Brad in a fish only enviroment where there is lots of hosts no way does garlic work.i THINK IN A REEF TANK THAT HAS LOTS OF FLOW PARASITES HAVE A HARDER TIME HOOKING UP TO A HOST.I have had parasites in my reef tanks but with a light fish load.The cleaner wrasse and the cleaner shrimp fixed it with no fish loss and maybe the high water flow

Last edited by Salmon King; 09-03-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: WORDING
Old 09-03-2007, 07:40 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Everyone knows chicken noodle soup doesn't cure anything. Yet a great number of mothers and wives feed it to their children to make them feel better when they have a cold. You need nourishment to fight off those nasty bugs. If noodle soup were to encourage my fish to eat I would feed them noodle soup. As it is...I feed garlic to encourage them to eat not to cure anything. I may be wasting my time and a few cents but I don't see how it can hurt.

Scott
Old 09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

For some reason, I have always had good success helping sick fish. A few that were even looking beyond help, that others brought over. I remember a baby regal Mike brought me, was so covered in ich and sick, we thought of putting it out of its misery.

I treated it in a small tank I had at the time and today he,s the king of a 180g, huge & fat, and 6 yrs. later. Just use most of whats posted here but like I said, "most all", together. I always drop the salinity a bit. I did use a copper based treatment and fed spirolina soaked in garlic and either selcon or vita-chem.

I have not used UV since the 80,s so cant really comment on them but know several lfs that use them for general treatment.

Still think the best advice is to buy healthy fish and give them a healthy home and ich seems to be a non thing.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I cant understand why they took treats parasites off there label if it works.Could somebody explain this
My garlic doesn't have a label, so I can't comment...
Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
I do believe garlic gets some fish to eat like wd40 and other sents gets salmon to bite and there is probally some food benifet but to tell somebody to risk a fish.Maybe if you cant get your fish out of a reef tank and you have nothing to lose.Brad in a fish only enviroment where there is lots of hosts no way does garlic work.i THINK IN A REEF TANK THAT HAS LOTS OF FLOW PARASITES HAVE A HARDER TIME HOOKING UP TO A HOST.I have had parasites in my reef tanks but with a light fish load.The cleaner wrasse and the cleaner shrimp fixed it with no fish loss and maybe the high water flow
Rob, I never tried to get the fish out, garlic was my first approach. My brown tang was mostly white, looked like he was rolled in flour. Within 2 days, all better. I had several fish in the tank,all affected by ich, flow was comparable to a FO system and garlic did work. How it works I have no idea. Does it boost the immune system, does it make the fish taste bad to the parasite? No idea. Sure copper works if you can catch the fish, put them in your extra bare tank and the stress of all this doesn't make it worse. I think garlic is the chicken noodle soup (which is a cure for everything) of the fish world and should at least be attempted in conjunction with whatever else you want to try.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

one other thing to note, Garlic is a known immune system booster and a known disinfectant. will it kill parasites direwctly... NO (this is why they took it off your label Rob) BUT it will increase the immune system of the fish helping him to fight off the ich.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.