Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

In my early days in the hobby I too learned the hard way not to have top up on an infinite water supply. Oh what a mess that was.

Sorry for your losses and pain.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Proofed by Wheelman

Cujo#31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
I don't mean to pile on, but most ATO's also have a maximum run time so this type of thing doesn't happen. If set up correctly the most water a system will lose is whatever amount is in the return chamber + maximum ATO run time. You'll burn up your return pump, but who cares. I guess if the leak is slow enough that the ATO can refill completely and resets every time, there's nothing you can do about that. In hindsight this stuff if always easily solved of course.

Really a crummy situation for you . I hope some stuff pulls through.
Oh no. Pile it on bud. This isn't about a pity party for me, this is about sharing and learning. I had asked myself that question too and the simple answer is my reactor is fed with a 1/4" line that is throttled down to keep a decent feed to reactor. I've seen my ATO trigger for top off and it only runs for about 5 seconds. There is plenty of time for the pump to shut down and reset before the levels dropped low enough again to trigger start up.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear man about the disaster. I feel for you as I also work shiftwork and this is an example of my biggest fear. I always worry that when I get home from my regular 10 hours (sometimes 12/13 hrs) that something has gone wrong. I have saw some of your frags on Canreef and they are stunning. I am also very impressed with your resiliency and your will to rebuild a new system. I’m hopefully some people who have acquired beautiful pieces from you are able to help you rebuild your coral collection as Myka has already mentioned. Keep us posted... I appreciate you sharing your tragic experience with us Canreefers so we can learn and hopefully prevent this in the future.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Oh man this sucks, sorry to hear...ooooof
Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Proofed by Wheelman

In the spirit of redundancy and planning, and going over some of the things I could have done differently, if I had set up a salinity probe to my controller, then run the ATO thru the controller, I could have most likely set the ATO "off" at a specific SG reading and most likely could have avoided the whole event. I would still have water on the floor and possibly a burnt out return pump but those are small potato issues in comparison to what I have now.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Proofed by Wheelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Sorry to hear man about the disaster. I feel for you as I also work shiftwork and this is an example of my biggest fear. I always worry that when I get home from my regular 10 hours (sometimes 12/13 hrs) that something has gone wrong. I have saw some of your frags on Canreef and they are stunning. I am also very impressed with your resiliency and your will to rebuild a new system. I’m hopefully some people who have acquired beautiful pieces from you are able to help you rebuild your coral collection as Myka has already mentioned. Keep us posted... I appreciate you sharing your tragic experience with us Canreefers so we can learn and hopefully prevent this in the future.
Yes, this has been a kick to the nuts for sure, but I'm still moving forward. I have a nice new display, a newly designed and re-tooled sump. and a plan. This is a major setback for sure, and I wont bounce back very quickly but I can only move forward and do so successfully if I learn from my failures.....which are quite numerous LMMFAO
Old 10-14-2017, 01:41 AM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear Gary ... that's really unfortunate,stay positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
Sorry to hear Gary ... that's really unfortunate,stay positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Galizio. The "body count" is at 34 now and there are a small handful that might not make it. Hopefully the others continue to show positive signs. This won't make me throw in the towel, if anything this makes me more determined than ever to shoot for the moon with my new display. Not saying this hasn't brought me to my knees, it is a crushing blow. But I still love the hobby, love the challenge, and probably always will. I was never any good at quitting.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary

Just got home to read all the bad news. Sorry to hear about your catastrophe.

Glenn
Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Oh Dang Gary. This really sucks to hear. It just takes one or two little things to go wrong and a reef tank can go sideways soooo fast. Sadly I know the feeling.

Fingers crossed that some corals survive their fw bath.

Anthony