Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-25-2019, 03:35 PM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road
Default Coral Additives

Hey All! It has been a long time since i've been back hear. I've had someone taking care of my tank for a few years, but I'm now taking it back. Water care seemed to be OK, however nothing was ever done to "feed" the corals. They barely grow, always closed, just generally look sad. Fish are doing great, super fat and colorful, 2 RBTA's doing well, but even my softies are not that happy.

I want to start dosing additives but it has been a while since I used to do it. I would use Kent Coral Accel etc and that was always a success for me, but as I look I've seen many many new products to market so I would love your suggestions as to what to use to help suppliment the corals. I keep mostly softies and LPS. I would like to start adding some SPS in the future, but generally getting things like my hammers, and softies looking amazballs is the first step.

I also want to look at a 2 part additives for Calcium, Kalk and magnesium. Your experiences and expertise are welcome Thanks all!

J
Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I prefer to mix my own 2 part with soda ash, sodium sulphate, magnesium chloride and calcium chloride.

I not a big fan of adding things to my tank to get my corals to colour up. I prefer good water motion, adequate lighting, clean water and maintaining adequate levels of nitrates and phosphates. Also maintaining stable alkalinity and calcium.

I have not had too much success while adding things and often it has led to unwanted algae, bacteria or dinoflagellates. Maybe I am doing it wrong, that is just my experience.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

One other thing I do feed my corals a couple times a week with live rotifers, copepods and phytoplankton.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Lots of fish. Lots of small daily feedings. Fish poop is the best coral food I find. However, mine is an SPS tank. If I were to have LPS again I’d have to add even more fish? Sounds like a win win LOL. But make sure you’ve got a good skimmer if you go this route and keep an eye on nutrients so that they don’t get out of hand. Whatever corals don’t eat will have to get pulled out by your skimmer.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

I love Wookiees too!
Hate Gungans.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Before you start feeding the coral make sure all your parameters are within range

Mag
Calcium
Alk

Low Phos ** this is one of the number 1 inhibitors of sps growth as if effects coral ability to uptake and use nutrients

Nitrate within low range *** but not 0ppm

These first and you should have decent looking and not sad corals. Also i think running some carbon to clear the yellowness out of the water and give your corals all the Par your lights are getting

Then after that I would start by doing a few more water changes say every 2 weeks for the next month to catch up on some trace elements and give the tank a new lease on life

THEN if after that you notice still sad corals go for some Amino acids or 2 part trace elements ( i don't have a good recommendation but i have used Reef roids for the coral food and Fuel for AA but only once a month and sometimes not even that

my 2 cents
: )