Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well remember you have no entry fee, so more than likely 25 people won't finish this contest. Previous years had entry fees so less people entered but I believe everyone finished. It's only another week, I doubt you'll get 25 more people and while I don't actually think limiting the amount of people is a bad idea it's just it seems you keep changing things which isn't fair to everyone. There's probably a few people waiting til last minute to join which they originally could but now they can't.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Well remember you have no entry fee, so more than likely 25 people won't finish this contest. Previous years had entry fees so less people entered but I believe everyone finished. It's only another week, I doubt you'll get 25 more people and while I don't actually think limiting the amount of people is a bad idea it's just it seems you keep changing things which isn't fair to everyone. There's probably a few people waiting til last minute to join which they originally could but now they can't.

ive changed nothing but allow people to start their journals prior to the first,the rules are as they were first posted, same as the timeline...nothings been changed.....id like to know what you think i changed besided the number of contestants we have???

i stopped the numbers after plenty of thought, like i said maybe next year we can do something different.

for those who waited untill last minute....what can i say but if you were on the fence and waiting to see how it turned out.... you waited too long.....the registration was open for anyone wanting to join...no commitments had to be made and someone could have backed out if they didnt want to be in it......i figure those who are truely interested have joined by now......theres even still one place left:P:P

out of 25 if we have 10 dropouts....we still have 15 contestants.

yes this a free contest , it will stay free as long as im running it but everyone has to remember this is the first year for this contest, there are going to be some modifications here and there , but im making the decisions in the best interest of the contest and the contestants who entered and the people running the contest.

when i started this contest it was just me doing the planning and work for the contest , no one stepped forward for help in arranging this contest so ive done the best i can considering ive never ran a contest before......so far imo im happy with the way its going and i do not see a need to change things

cheers

Last edited by reefwars; 09-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM

relax Denny, not trying to cause problems just pointing out something you may not have thought about but it's clear now you have.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
relax Denny, not trying to cause problems just pointing out something you may not have thought about but it's clear now you have.

haha no worries im relaxed coffee in hand lol , believe me there were alot of things i wanted to change or add etc. i have written down in my book like 30 new ideas for another contest and things i would do again or not do again , but for this year ill learn some things and leave as be, the prizes are a decent prize and hopefully everyone can have fun and next year id actually like a few of us to organize a good contest as a group and blow this one out of the water lol :P
Old 09-17-2012, 03:19 PM
R.I.P.

i think one of the things ill do when this contest is over is ill ask if a small group wants to be on the organizing committee and ill start a thread for what people think could make the contest better or what the overall public wants to see in a contest , it would be cool to see a large tank contest as well in the future:P
Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 PM

You've done a great job so far, definitely the best start compared to previous years. Love the freedom which will produce so many different tanks. Looking forward to following everyone's build, wish I could join myself but too many projects on the go for me this year.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
You've done a great job so far, definitely the best start compared to previous years. Love the freedom which will produce so many different tanks. Looking forward to following everyone's build, wish I could join myself but too many projects on the go for me this year.

thanks buddy haha after googling and reading contests everywhere else ive gotten some cool ideas , thats why i think it would be nice to have a group of say 4 people to organize a contest, theres some awesome ideas for contest out there and everyone loves to showoff their tank....really the skies the limit as long as theres reeftanks it just has to be appealing to people.

how about the 24hr nano contest???
Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I think so far, the contest looks great. Loads of startups happening, will be fun to watch. I'm not doing one this year, too many other things on the go, but there's always next year.

Thanks for organizing Denny! First contest out of the gate is always a tester, what worked, what didn't, number of contestants, etc. There's already loads of suggestions in the thread, different opinions. I'd wait until the end and then decide what changes should be made if any.

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
R.I.P.

prizes!!!!!

should i say what they are or make you people wait some more hummmm
Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too late... I didn't read the rules right or understand things right (as you did say DENNY that we could go at our own pace) and I thought that you had until the dates above at the latest to do things but you could do them as fast as you wanted to but no slower then the dates above. Sorry I didn't read the rules very well before I signed up. I am waaaayyyyyy to impatient of a person to not set up stuff immediately, like as of yesterday, and it kills me to wait a day (never mind a whole month ) not to share progress (when progress was made) so what fun is it if everything is running but you have to hold back pic's until the right dates Guidelines are good but they should be "have to be done by this date date" not "can't post pic's of what you've already done till this date date" Seems silly to me that if you've already done something not to show what you've done until a certain date

Personally I say we take a vote with the contestants entered to see how everyone feels about going at their own pace as long as you have posted updates along the way and you have the things added by no later then the dates posted above. That way people who want to go faster can and others who want to take their time can as well. That way everyone is happy especially me

This is a contest after all and it's not my fault if others can't keep up Besides isn't it more interesting to see what happens as it's happening then making people wait for updates on things they've already done????? Judges can dock points if they like if they feel like bratty contestants like myself are going to fast but personally it's more fun to see what's happening as it's happening then to have to wait until months after the fact!