Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

I can attest to the hammer coral's sting..no long effects but wasn't pleasant.

Should also add all species of rabbitfishes to the caution list, I have never been stung (yet!) but I understand the sting from their spines can be quite painful. I'm always watchfull where my rabbitfish is in my tank when working inside.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbaDEEra View Post
I knew that some corals are toxic but I had NO idea that zoos were this toxic. I have never worn gloves and was not told I should by any other the LFS. I do and have had swollen glands on one side of my neck that the doctors are watching and the next step is more tests. Could this be from me handling EVERYTHING in my tank wo gloves? I did months of research before we got the tank but I guess I missed this tutorial!!
all zoo's are toxic the more colourfull the more toxic. the Giant sun polyp ( Protopalythoa grandis ) was used by Hawaiian natives to tip spears in for mortal combat.

Make sure you don't wipe your face with a towel you used to clean up when fragging if you get it on your lips, they will go numb and you will taste nothing but copper for hours, if you actualy injext it... who knows.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Hairytank is on a distinguished road

There seem to be three seperate health hazards that corals can cause...
1) Toxins from the coral- eg:Zoas
2) Stings from the coral caused by nematocysts- Hammer, fire (similar to jellyfish stings)
3) Infection from a cut from a coral

I wonder if the cure for the sting is the same as for jellyfish? The cure for the sting of a jellyfish is vinigar or urine. They also recommend you wash with salt water and not fresh as fresh will make it hurt more.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Hairytank is on a distinguished road

Oh and I forgot the fourth hazard of keeping corals...
My wife finding out how much money I have sunk into this already and will in the future....THIS may be the most painful of all the hazards..
Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I have some links that I saved from when we were heavy into its discussion on RC or somewhere.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1105126-overview

http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/disea...iummarinum.htm

Pretty good reference links for what we are discussing here but I take them just as that.

In all my years in the hobby I have never encountered many of these things. I did get an infection from an urchin poke and the tank water getting into it.

Plus when I handle a lot of live rock, esp. well seasoned rock, my hands and fingers swell. Sometimes so bad I need some meds for it.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:50 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I have some links that I saved from when we were heavy into its discussion on RC or somewhere.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1105126-overview

http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/disea...iummarinum.htm

Pretty good reference links for what we are discussing here but I take them just as that.

In all my years in the hobby I have never encountered many of these things. I did get an infection from an urchin poke and the tank water getting into it.

Plus when I handle a lot of live rock, esp. well seasoned rock, my hands and fingers swell. Sometimes so bad I need some meds for it.
Thanks for posting that. I was about to respond that not all zoas have palytoxin, but it is in your second link.

I'll add bristle worm spines to the list. They are finer than hairs, and irritate like hell.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:51 PM

Patrice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairytank View Post
Oh and I forgot the fourth hazard of keeping corals...
My wife finding out how much money I have sunk into this already and will in the future....THIS may be the most painful of all the hazards..
That can hit an aquarist really bad. I tried everything without succes. Maybe I should get a better job.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

i must be very lucky ive handle all my corals by hand and even touch them on purpose sometimes, and nothing happened to me, but now i will definatly be more caution, anybody know of those white doctor gloves where to pick some up also what is the right kind to pick up.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Get Nitrile gloves. Similar to plain latex gloves but stronger and designed to keep chemicals off your skin. Any automotive or safety supply store should have them.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:59 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

for bristle worm spines soak your hand in viniger for a while, it will desolve the spines.

Oh and the Urin for jelly fish stings, Mythbusters proved it false.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.