Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 PM

fixerupper is on a distinguished road
Default Quick WP40 Review

I posted a review over on the Reef Supply Canada website so here's a lazy guy's cut/paste/edit version for Canreef:

I was reading the discussion over on Reef Central about this pump when I happened to see a pre-order listing for these at Reef Supply Canada. My curiosity got the better of me so I snagged on of these just before the order deadline. The shipment arrived quickly and communication was great as is usual from Nick. It arrived in the box pictured on the order page. It luckily arrived in great shape BUT it really should have been double boxed. I doubt that the manufacture's box would be up to the usual rigours of Canada Post. While I'm grousing, many forums indicate that it ships with a resistor for the night sensor. No such goodies arrived in my box.

So, it's been installed for about a week on the end of a 6' long 100 gallon tank. It's more than powerful enough to create waves that can slop over the ends of the tank. While I was adjusting the settings I noticed that the pump had some zoos in the intake grill. The flow had ripped them from their mother colony, dislodged my monti cap and a blew over few other corals. If you don't want to do involuntary fragging I'd be careful choosing modes. It had a bit of a buzzy noise when ramping up/down but that disappeared after a few days. Now its very quiet. My favourite mode is "Else" which is similar to a random setting. The corals (that stay glued down) seem to love it. The controller doesn't have the flexibility of my MP40 but this is offset by the ability to direct the flow (like a Tunze?).

The tank always has had a bit of a surface film that I've never been able to skim off through my hang-on overflow. After first installing the WP40 it agitated the water well enough to send the film (and a whole lot of other suspended crud) through the overflow and into my sump where the skimmer and socks could do their jobs. I'm still messing with finding the optimal placement on the glass and best settings. While "else" is my favourite mode it can create the odd random high wave that can induce some mild arse puckering. Time will tell how reliable these are but it seems fairly robust so far. I'm going to get another and retire 3 of the Korallias.

20 year old Hagen 100g 6' mixed reef. 36g sump with multiple broken Waveline products removed. Lights T5-LED combo.
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Flame, 1 Blue Tang, 5 Green Chromis, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Asst'd hermits & snails.
2 large boxes of broken expensive aquarium crap. 1 x VERY understanding wife.