Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-20-2002, 07:56 AM

kgb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kgb
Default mexico

hey guys i think i asked this already but i can remember for the life of me where that post is . :shock:
but yeah ok for new years my dad is wisking me away to mexico . hopefully i get to go to cancun again
but the real questions that i need answers to are
1: is it possible to tank corals back with me on the plane to canada (seeing as the flight back is just over 6 hours) if so how do i go about it ?
2: does any one know where there are nice coral reefs in mexico ?close to mexico city
also if there are any mexican fish stores there ?
i dont think any one will know all the answers to these question but i am leaving on the 27th so if any one has any idea where to look or knows someonthat could help me it would be much apperciated
Old 12-20-2002, 02:48 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

You're "treading on sacred ground young grasshopper". In my experiences Canadian Customs Officials are less than understanding and I really doubt you'd hear them say, "well, we'll let it go this time but next time please obtain a CITES permit prior to importing any live or possibly endangered species..."
Don't even bother without proper documentation. You'll have it confiscated. It could "snowball" from there...free accomadation for a night at crowbar motel and perhaps a "rubber glove intrusion". :shock:
...now there's a vacation memory I would't want .
Perhaps "rubble" from the beach.
Let's say I know a guy that went to Cuba last year. I, oops, I mean he, was a real marine enthusiast. For two weeks I, ooops, there I go again,
"he" collected Rubble that washed ashore for "base rock". As the days passed on, the size of the rocks collected increased. As the vacation drew to a close and we, oops, they prepared to come home "his" girlfriend asked, "which rocks are you taking home"? "well all of them he replied". :shock:
Departing the Cuban international airport with a bag that weighed 60 pounds more than it did two weeks earlier was "no sweat"
After all, x-rays would probably only think those "objects" in plastic bags were cocaine or somthing... :shock: Besides, the Cuban authorities are know for their hospitality...
This guy gambled on his innocent looking face to get him out of the Calgary International Airport without a "bag search..." "He" got lucky !!!
Experience diving/snorkelling while you're there. Observe life in its natural enviroment and bring that back to try and replicate. Customs officials can't take away that and you don't have to go through an airport feeling like you're a "drug runner..."
Have a great time !!!
Old 12-20-2002, 04:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Here is the link to the thread where you asked that

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewto...=2896&start=15

And Here is the reply I typed in over there

Quote:
hey some what related to zoos but des any one know the rules about bringing corals from the usa to canada ?

The short answer is "don't." Most corals are on the CITES list (Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species), which means you cannot import them without the proper CITES permits (expensive). Without these permits, and if you are determined to be carrying endangered species, or any products made from endangered species, or by-products of endangered species, (e.g., boots made from alligator skin, or anything made of ivory, or, seeds of a plant, cuttings of a plant, corals, cuttings of a coral, live rock [live rock used to be coral], live sand, ... etc. you get the idea] .... you risk having your goods seized and destroyed, plus risk having severe fines, and possibly face even jail time.

It's not worth the risk!! Support the Canadian companies who do go through the hassle of importing legally, they need our support to make their efforts worthwhile.

For more info see www.cites.org

Just some more info since I don't feel like getting back to work just yet.

You asked where the good reefs are. Well I haven't been on the Pacific side of Mexico but I have been to the Yucatan peninsula (I haven't actually stayed in Cancun other than passing through the airport -- I went south to Playa Del Carmen, the "Mayan Riviera" area).

That whole area is nothing short of fantastic in my view. Incredible history, incredible geography, and yes incredible snorkeling/diving. Cozumel (the island just off the area) is also supposed to be just incredible.

Anyways if you go there the experience will totally spoil you. There is NOTHING like just walking off the beach, snorkeling, and being right on top of a barrier reef.

Just for comparison's sake .... I have also dived on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and while it is the most amazing system of reefs on this PLANET ... you have to take a boat ride for at least an hour offshore to get there. So in Australia you have to count on paying someone $100 just so you can go see the reef. In Mexico, no, none of that. The reef, it's RIGHT THERE. Of course there are no giant clams or clownfish in hosting anemones, but there are other things that are so spectacular, it doesn't matter.

Anyways, as Doug said. Take only pictures and memories, leave behind only footprints (and keep your footprints small, too. ). Don't even take any sand home. Not even "just one rock." (Imagine if EVERYONE took "just one rock.") Leave it all as you found it, and thus you will have a reason to return again and again.

Have a great time, where-ever place you end up going... 8)
Old 12-21-2002, 11:10 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Hey KGB, well to asnwer as much of your ?'s. There are no coral reefs in Mexico City-that would be like asking is there Rockie Mtns in Saskatchewan. Mexico City is inland, so you have to travel to the coast in order to find reefs and salt water. The closest place to snorkel or dive in half decent conditions in my opinion would be Veracruz which is two hours East of Meixco City. I have been there a few times as I have friends in Peubla, a beautiful city not far from Veracruz.

I have been to Playa Del Carmen five times now, with my most recent trip was just last month. I find this area to be the most beautiful-it's on the Mayan Riviera. Stay away from Cancun though as it's full of tourist looking to drink, eat and shop everything under the sun. Along this entire stretch of land you will find some of the worlds best diving and snorkeling. Playa was an old fishing village until divers discovered the place in the 70's, now it's ranked in the top ten for diving-number one in my books! You can dive anywhere in such places as Cozumel, Akumel, or Tulum. Cozumel is a National marine park so the diving is alittle more costly there because you have to pay for the ferry there from Playa which is $10 U.S. dollars as well you have to pay an extra $10 U.S. for the use to explore the marine park. So diving in Cozumel is about $20 more to dive than other areas, however well worth every peso, it's simply a divers paradise! All the diving in Cozumel is by dryft as the currents are strong.

The snorkeling along this coast is also incredible. I have been to lot's of areas such as Paamul, Xpu Ha, Akumal Lagoona, Coco beach, and areas around Tulum. You would not be dissapointed, just take a taxi or bus to these areas and that's all you need except for your own gear and a few peso's for lunch. These areas are public beaches with no entrance fees, where as if you go to Xcaret or Xel Ha you will pay $20 dollars to swim with a few species of damels along with hundreds of other people-STAY AWAY from these tourist traps if you value your $ and vacation time except if you have kids, then these places will be fun for them. The snorkeling at Xpu Ha and Paamul are incredible, with nice beaches, a few restaurants, and two reefs that are only about a 5 minute paddle out(100m). Just on my trip last month I saw turtles, barracuda, and moray eels, not to mention gobbies, angels, puffers, damsels, parrots, and hundres of tangs all living in and around beautiful patch reefs.

As for bringing home souviners or live coral-NO WAY not even a chance after 9-11. Even if to say you found a nice piece of brain washed up on the beach and kept it alive at your hotel in a bucket, there is no way of U.S. or Canadian customs of knowing that you found it washed up instead of being broken off a reef. The penalties are btoh the same-seizure, fines, indepth searches, and even jail! You must have Cities permits for even a single snail or a chunk of rock. The only thing that I have brought back from Mexico is 10 lbs of dead beach sand, which I had to make sure there was no debree such as dead leafs or small bugs as customs will seize the sand if there is any living plant or animal matter within the sand. This was still a hassle and I almost didn't make my flight in L.A. because they searched the whole bucket by poking it with a coat hanger to make sure there was nothing being smuggled inside the sand. Customs also questions why a person would haul around 10lbs of sand rather than extra souviners or more tequilla. So be prepared for the worst and don't forget that there have been $1000 fines for bringing in such itiems as conch shells and dead coral branches.

As for fish stores in Mexico City, I went to one but it was really hard to find(gee that's a surprise with 20 ml other people). You could look on the internet for a location but chances are slim as when I was there last year I could not find the store that I visited a year earlier. If your near the airport then try some of the big hotels for help as some will have fish only tanks in there lobbys.

Goodluck and have fun in Mexico! Sumfinfishe

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 12-22-2002, 12:37 AM

i know ther aint any coral reefs in mexico city but i heard that it is only a 4 or 5 hour drive from the coast so hey
Old 12-22-2002, 12:43 AM

ow yeah and thanks for the info i am going to try to get go to some of these place also any of you guys know any good camers that can take pictures under water?
i have a very good camera but i am almost possitive it isnt water proof so is there a way to make my camera water proof ie platic bag or is that also a bad idead ?
Old 12-22-2002, 05:14 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

You can get disposable underwater cameras for cheap from pretty much any film store. They take reasonable photos, as long as you don't try to get too close.