Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
bvlester

That’s what spell check wanted and it was late and I was not arguing with a computer. In the mean time got to go have some rocky mountain fudge for a snack.

Yum yum.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 AM

piusma is on a distinguished road

I dove into the salt water world around this time last year. Bought a 90 gallon tank on boxing day sales at big als and got my feet wet doing salt. What I figured in the salt water world is that your tank is your cheapest investment. Everything else costs multiple times more expensive. The skimmer, the light, the pumps, the powerheads, the calcium reactor, the controller. etc. I spent approx $300 on the tank but spent probably 10 times more in the rest of the equipment with the 90 gallon and I am no where close to be done. My tank is barely stocked and I would expect that it'll cost another couple thousand to stock the tank with the fish and corals I would want. It is very rewarding but be prepared for the expenses. Merry Christmas.
Steven
Old 12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
bvlester

I have bought almost everything off here and kijiji or what ever it is called. spent about $700 - $750 that includes a20g, 55g and 90g tank 2 sumps 2 skimmers power heads for 2 tanks still looking for a couple more for the 90g a squid and external pump. lights and more lights. ATO system 2 aqua lifters. Rock and stock.

So watch on the forums and used sites you can get some realy good deals.

Admitedly the tanks are not pristean condition a couple scratches here and there but that side went to the back and that I prosume is where it was in the first place. One of the sumps I have to replace the bottom pane of glass but that is simple to do I believe it is a oceanic 30 sump..

Bill
Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM

skwestle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advise, I am aware of the costs to set-up a salt tank and with that in mind it wasn't a factor as to why I never made this choice sooner. I currently have over 1000 gallons of fresh running right now and a wife that hates the hobby so I have to take it cool. I must admit I was very nervous about going in a direction that was very new to me. Well I will be moving very slow here and hope to avoid some costly mistakes.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwestle View Post
Thanks for all the advise, I am aware of the costs to set-up a salt tank and with that in mind it wasn't a factor as to why I never made this choice sooner. I currently have over 1000 gallons of fresh running right now and a wife that hates the hobby so I have to take it cool. I must admit I was very nervous about going in a direction that was very new to me. Well I will be moving very slow here and hope to avoid some costly mistakes.

Absolutely Sean! Slow is good.