I'm not ready 25 22.12%
I trust in my provinces hydro company 5 4.42%
I have a backup plan for everything 4 3.54%
I'm not worried 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I would say that I am ready but only up to a certain point. There is so much that can go wrong that no matter how much you plan and prepare, there will come a point in time where an event occurs that is beyond your planning and preparation.

My tank has been hit by quite a few events that I never accounted for. Each time one happened though, I add it to my list of contingency plans.

1. Determine the bare minimal set of equipment the tank needs to survive. Water flow, bubbler, heater. The tank can survive on just those three things for quite a while.

2. Have vital equipment backup. I have a spares of heaters, powerheads, return pump, ATO.

3. Have a generator and/or battery backup. When I first started I never thought I'd ever need one. Well, after the great Calgary flood of 2013 my mind was changed. It's better to have one and not need one than need one and not have one. When that flood hit we lost power for a day. I had to scramble in the storm to find one, along with thousands of other people in the city who had lost power. I did manage to find one and put my tank on life support with the bare minimum running (see #1 above). That generator saved my tank. Thankfully the outage was only one day, and it was near summer so it wasn't cold out, but the outage could have easily been worse.

4. Vacation planning. Have a tank sitter and have a plan! When you go away, make sure you have a backup plan for your tank sitter as well. I like to have a full Rubbermade brute full of NSW and my 50g RO reservoir full. I let my tank sitter know where all my spare equipment is in case something fails. I've had my ATO crap out while on vacation. Luckily it was no big deal as my tank sitter was able to just swap it out for the spare.

This past Christmas my controller crapped out shutting off all my heaters. Being a programmable powerpower, I had decided to program it to shut OFF the heaters in the event that the controller craps out (ie, no communications with controller), rather than staying ON, which is what all the other sockets (return pump, skimmer, reactors, etc) are programmed to. I've learned that surviving a cold tank is more likely than surviving an overheated tank. I don't trust heaters. It got pretty cold in the tank, it's winter and the furnace was off, so this outage hit many of my corals hard, but luckily I had a spare heater that my tank sitter could just drop into the sump. This was easier than trying to figure out the maze of wires that the existing heaters and controller are strung to. One other thing I learned from this outage is that if I ever go away on vacation again, I would leave the heat in the house on. It's a sensible safety precaution. If I had left the heat on in the house the tank probably would not have dropped as cold as it did.

5. Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Lord of Fate, Darth Murphyous.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have battery power pack/inverters and a generator that I can use for power outages. Sadly these were all at the lake during our Aug storm/outage, and I lost 4 fish. Corals were all OK. Normally, I bring them home in Oct in preparation for the winter storms. But this year, we got hit in Aug.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Inverter I can run off my car in the garage , switch power between the furnace , pumps and heaters and should be ok for a few hours . Im in an area that has underground power so pretty stable , but if its -40 out and the power goes down im simply driving to the airport and flying somewhere warm and not coming back.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:14 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

My hubby bought me a 3 kilowat generator after that big blowdown that wrecked Stanley Park. Now all my fish tanks keep on going plus our appliances and even the next door neighbour's fridge.

AquaAddict
Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I put in a whole house generator 7 years ago and don't even give power outages a second thought any more.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road

2 generators, 130 watts of solar panel and a 12v converter with a few deep cycle batteries....oh and a UPS for short term outages say 30 mins or so.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:08 AM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

I'm not to worried on a power outage. I designed everything so if the power does go out it wouldn't flood my house. As for the livestock it should be fine with a couple of hours or power outage even a day. And if everything starts back up it should be running fine. Only thing with my tank was my ato was messed up and the water ran dry in my sump so it wasn't a cause of the power outage but because of my stupidity aND negligence of the ato.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 01-12-2016, 02:05 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road
Angry Generator Stolen

I was ready. Now am not. Our generator was stolen early Sun morning while we slepped.

Aquaddict
Old 01-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAddict View Post
I was ready. Now am not. Our generator was stolen early Sun morning while we slepped.

Aquaddict

Cr@p. Was it in your garage or easily accessible?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAddict View Post

Aquaddict
Oh man, thats too bad.
I feel for you.
Don't you wish you had set up some sort of trap that would have maimed your perp?
I had stuff stolen once, but that will not happen again!