Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road
Default cycling question - Ammonia 0, nitrite 25+ ppm, nitrate 50+ ppm

Hey guys;

I started cycling some rock in a tank with 15 gallons of salt water last week.

40lbs of eco-reefer stuff plus 3 lbs of live rock from the LFS. Threw in a couple raw fresh/frozen scallops from the grocery store, set the heater to 85 degrees and added about 1900gphs of flow to keep the water moving nicely. My basement stunk like a wet towel left in a gym bag for too long.

On Saturday I threw my skimmer in the tank (after letting it run in a vinegar bath and r/o water) and let it run over night. It pulled out the remnants of the scallop and the water tests showed no FREE or TOTAL Ammonia (using the Seachem Marine Kit) Nitrites were reading 25ppm+ (it was more pink then the top end of the scale for the kit) Nitrates were 50+ (also topped out)

Water didnt smell very much but started to look pretty yellow and i could see some crud at the bottom of the tank so I setup another tank. Mixed 16 gallons of fresh salt water and set the temp to 85 degrees again. I transferred the rock over to the new tank but swished it around in the old tank to remove any debris before placing it in the new tank. I set up the powerheads again and the skimmer. This pretty much followed Myka's guide of a 100% water change. The skimmer hasnt been able to get the same foam head since the water change. I am assuming this is because how clean the new water is. Skimmer is just bubbling like fizzy drink - no foam head.

I am also dosing 60 drops of Microbacter 7 daily. Today is day 5 and the instructions advise to dose 4 drops per gallon per day for the first two weeks to help the cycle. It advises to turn off the skimmer for 4 hours after dosing which i do. I was dosing in the old cycling tank as well and the skimmer had no problem getting a good foam head.

On Friday I am leaving for Cuba for a week and no one will be watching the tank.

Here are my questions;

1. is it okay that the skimmer really isnt performing as it was before?

2. because i am leaving for a week, do i need to add anything to the tank (ie. fish or fish food/organics) to keep the cycle going?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 AM

Jewel is on a distinguished road

If i were going away for awhile. I would turn the skimmer off and let the tank circulate on it's own. In other words go have a good time and let the cycle procede.

Orange Shoulder, Liutenant Tangs, Longnosed Hawk, Xmas Wrasse, Niger Trigger,

Clams, Blastos, Hammers, Frogs, All LPS
Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

so no need to add an ammonia source to keep the bacteria and alive?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM

pscott99 is on a distinguished road
Default cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
If i were going away for awhile. I would turn the skimmer off and let the tank circulate on it's own. In other words go have a good time and let the cycle procede.

+1 patience
Old 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM

alright so friday morning skimmer will be shut down. Cuba Friday night. Drunk for 7 days, then return and start skimmer with 100% change again

thanks guys/girls
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

enjoy your trip to cuba! You will love it, i got back a couple weeks ago, i wish i was there again already so bad!! Where are you staying?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevNnic View Post
enjoy your trip to cuba! You will love it, i got back a couple weeks ago, i wish i was there again already so bad!! Where are you staying?
Be live brisas in camegeUy (Santa Lucia)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Where were you told not to run a skimmer during cycling? I'm pretty certain that every book I have says that you should use one. The liverock you purchased contains bacteria and micro oranisms that you want to preserve because they will make up the natural biological filter for your system. Killing them off with toxic ammonia, nitrite and nitrate doesn't do you any good.

Maybe pick up some good reading material for sitting in the airport and the plane ride over.
Building a Proper Marine Aquarium Library
by Pro, Steven
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tips/index.php

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour