Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 AM

habs247 is on a distinguished road
Default Help picking an Apex controller

For all of you out there using Neptune systems, I could use your help. Looking to add a controller to my brand new setup - and I'd like to make it as cost effective as possible. Hence my interest in the Apex Jr.

My setup is as follows (items relevant to a controller):
- Vertex Illumina SR200
- Tunze auto top off
- Koralias (may upgrade to Tunzes)
- heater (obviously)

Plans to keep SPS once my tank is established, in a year or so. So no reactor (and LPS) until then. As such, I can only think I'd need the controller to work with the listed equipment (and the reactor down the road). Am I forgetting anything?

Can I get away with JR? Or do I need to step up to the Lite?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I would go with the Apex Full system Ray, it has the built in Led controls. If you go with the lite or Jr. You have to buy an extra module for them for LED controls I believe which makes the price very close to the same.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 AM

Thanks Greg. If I'm happy with the built in controller for the Vertex, is there any added benefit to hooking it up to the Apex? Sorry for not adding that to my original post - I meant to ask that previously.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Not to firmilliar with the built in controller on the Vertex but I believe it is the real deal & can do a great dust to dawn so you probably don't need the controller to handle it & in that case I would look at the Apex Lite, it has a much nicer display then the Jr.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?...d=62&Itemid=40

That is a very handy comparison chart between the different models, in case you haven't seen it yet. It helped me decide.

After I did my comparison, and then my cost analysis for future upgrades and plans, the full Apex was clearly the best choice for me. The Apex Lite would have cost me more in the long run, and the Jr. isn't as expandable.

I've ordered mine. Just waiting for it to arrive.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks Enigma. I have seen that chart but I'm a bit confused about some of the features.

The differences I see between the Lite and the JR are that the former has (correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about any of this):

- ph out of the box with the addition of a probe (to add ph to the junior a pm1 module would be needed)
- a display (a big feature, but smartphone or pc could be used as a workaround)
- vdm (have no idea what it is or if I need it)
- legacy support (again, no idea what it is or if I'll need it given my setup)
- upgradability (a big feature - would I need more than 5 aquabus modules for the equipment I've listed above?)

Does this sound correct? Any insight from anyone on the above would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 PM

I also meant to ask a question about my auto top off unit - can this be controlled by any of the apex units or do they have a built in function for ato. In which case I guess I would sell my ato.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs247 View Post
I also meant to ask a question about my auto top off unit - can this be controlled by any of the apex units or do they have a built in function for ato. In which case I guess I would sell my ato.
No, you would need to configure floats or switches, depending on your ATO setup.
A big question, and one that is hard to answer, is what are you going to need next year? You really want a display, it helps if you need to troubleshoot connectivity issues. A VDM is a variable speed/dimming module, so lots of LED and pumps will use this feature. The add-on VDM is about $120. Will you ever use a Ca Reactor, and need pH? Maybe.
At a bare minimum, I'd go with the Lite model, but if you need VDM, you've just paid more than the full package. Although, if you are ever considering AI Sol lights, you'll need the add-on VDM anyway.
The junior, while looking good price-wise, would probably just have you wishing you spent more and got the Lite.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Legacy support means that you can use all of the old Neptune equipment on it like the old power bars and the breakout box. For those of us who used to have an AquaController this was a great feature because it meant we could continue to use as much of our old stuff as we wanted. To use the Apex to control your ATO you'll need to buy or make a breakout box and some individual float switches.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Ok gotcha. I had hoped it would be built in. Might be better just to keep my existing ato which works well instead of fiddling with a new system.