Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Flemed is on a distinguished road
Default New to hobby build

Hey everyone. Calvin here. Location: NE Calgary

Always wanted to get started with a marine tank. I've had freshwater tanks in the past but was never happy with them. Possibly due to the fact that I've always wanted colors and I could never get that with the selection of freshwater fish out there.

So I picked up a 23 gallon cube tank from a good friend of mine. He started his marine adventure with it many years ago and has moved on to a much larger setup.

He also gave me a chunk of algae from one of his collection tanks to help things get started. Currently running 2x 50w heaters, a hanging filter that I had been given some time ago, and a Koralia 425 gph circulation pump.

Got premixed water from big al's here in calgary, and roughly 13 lbs of dry rock from Concept.

Will be letting the tank run as is for the next couple of weeks. Still missing the lid for the tank but will be dealing with that soon. Also need to pickup a light before I can run any coral.

Will try to keep this updated as I continue through the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the hobby!!! This forum has some great people with excellent experience

While the cheato is great to have, I would suggest find a good chunk of healthy clean live rock to get that tank seeded.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:46 PM

I was thinking about grabbing some, but I don't want to add a lot of rock to the tank. We've got 13 lbs in there right now, though a small chunk wouldn't be too bad.

I work out of town and am home every other weekend, so the plan was for my girlfriend to keep topping up water level while I was away, and then it should, theoretically, be ready for cleanup crew when I come home again.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

welcome to Canreef Calvin! Proteus is right about the live rock, it will bring you some unexpected life to the tank. Also make sure you get a light on the chaeto so it doesn't die. Take it slow and enjoy!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-22-2015, 04:08 PM

A light is in the plans for the near future. Just can't afford it at the moment. We will be heading back for a couple more gallons of salt water from Big Al's today. I'll take a look and see if they have a small chunk of live rock there we could pickup.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemed View Post
A light is in the plans for the near future. Just can't afford it at the moment. We will be heading back for a couple more gallons of salt water from Big Al's today. I'll take a look and see if they have a small chunk of live rock there we could pickup.
The rock is what will help you take care of nutrients. I always aimed for 1lb per gallon. But each to there own!

Make sure you check the sg of the water from big als. I've heard stories of it being out of walk.. Not to mention expensive
Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Haven't found it too expensive. $0.99/gal if you have a container of your own. They sell a five gallon bucket or jug for $13.99. But you can obviously reuse the container too.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

A normal lamp would help keep the chaeto alive for now. As is it will start breaking up into 100s of little pieces. I have had this happen down the road when I put light on tank chaeto was growing outta the rocks everywhere.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:09 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I may have misunderstood, but when the water evaporates from the tank, just replace it with fresh water, preferably reverse osmosis, (RO) not the salt water from Big Als.
Evaporation will be less when you find a lid for the tank.
For now, until you buy a light, you could place a desk lamp or clip on by your tank with a cheap "daylight" compact florescent bulb from Home Depot. Maybe 25W. This should keep your cheato growing.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:12 PM

I think I may have a small lamp I could use for the time being. Thanks.

hillegom, I still need to finish filling the tank with salt water as it is a couple gallons short. We will be replacing the evaporated water with fresh ro water.