Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-16-2015, 12:18 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default Fish suggestions

One of the managers at my work has decided to set up a 50g salt water tank in his office. He's a total newbie and I have been helping him. I asked him what type of fish he'd like and he said "colourful" I'd like to make a fish list with him so he doesn't end up putting a fish in the tank that wouldn't be right in a 50g. He agreed that a list was a good idea. So I figured I'd ask for suggestions.

I was thinking wrasses (fairy and leopard) would be good, a dwarf angel and then I'm not sure so ideas please. I'm used to stocking very large or small tanks. A 50g seems tricky to me.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 AM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

Gobies
Blennies
Clown fish
Flasher wrasse
Old 01-16-2015, 03:51 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Is it going to be a reef? If yes, what type of corals?

For a 50g reef, I like Bangaii cardinals, leopard wrasses (if eating in the store), Kole or Tomini tang, obligatory clown fish, cherub angel, yellow watchman goby, canary wrasse. Fairy & Flasher wrasses will chase each other if males (and males are more colourful for some species) and are notorious carpet surfers (making completely covered tank a necessity).

Less reef-safe (i.e. coral &/or shrimp/hermit-safe) are lemon peel, Eblii or flame angel (whichever one he likes best), flame hawk, long-nose hawk, Marine betta.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:11 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Kole tang in a 50? My Kole has outgrown my 90. Not sure about the Bangaiis either. I tried to pick a male and female a few times and constantly ended up with last fish standing.
Thumbs up on the cherub. They are pretty little fish and mine leaves the clams and coral alone. He gets harrassed a bit by the flame but nothing he can't handle.
How about a neon goby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Is it going to be a reef? If yes, what type of corals?

For a 50g reef, I like Bangaii cardinals, leopard wrasses (if eating in the store), Kole or Tomini tang, obligatory clown fish, cherub angel, yellow watchman goby, canary wrasse. Fairy & Flasher wrasses will chase each other if males (and males are more colourful for some species) and are notorious carpet surfers (making completely covered tank a necessity).

Less reef-safe (i.e. coral &/or shrimp/hermit-safe) are lemon peel, Eblii or flame angel (whichever one he likes best), flame hawk, long-nose hawk, Marine betta.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Blue Assessor
Yellow Assessor
Royal Gramma
2 x Clownfish

This will make a nice, peaceful tank...especially once the clowns are established, though I would add them in the order they are posted.