Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

I was just looking at your pico tank, looks great but I do have a suggestion. While you are doing this remove your sandbed. Sand beds are death to pico tanks! Your tank is what about 2 years old? This is around the time I removed mine. It was actually more detritus then just sand. Put some of your zoos or other corals on the bottom and soon you won't even be able to tell its bare bottom.

I generally dislike the look of bare bottoms but for picos I really think it's a must. My 2 gallon has been running for just under 4 years. Some of the corals have been in there the entire time.

Don't miss the sand one bit.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I tried the velvet nudis for flatworm control once, and my general opinion on something like that is that unless you can get the predator to breed in your tank (which I don't think velvet nudis will), they offer little hope of putting much of a dent in a pest population. If one velvet nudi eats even 200 flatworms a day, it's still not going to be enough to do much to an out of control population.

the same thing is true for berghia's as an aiptasia control method. Even if you buy 20, they only really start to work when the second and third generations mature and the population reaches critical mass, as you need hundreds of them working together to outpace the reproductive rate of their target pest.

I think you made the right choice with flatworm exit. It's extremely effective at doing what it does, and there's ways to mitigate the risk. If I were you, I'd do a second treatment a couple of weeks later as it's almost inevitable that you'll miss a couple if the starting population is really huge. A second dose soon after poses much less risk of flatworm poisoning and will mop up any surviving worms.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Yes I think the flatworm exit will be the best bet. When I move everything to the 5g tank from the 2.5g I will be using a new sandbed. I don't like BB tanks, so I had planned on using new sand, old sand does cause issues.

Corpusse your pico is nice, I believe mine will look nice again too when you can actually see into it right now there's to many flatworms to see much of anything!

Last edited by fishoholic; 04-27-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

I have some flatworm exit at home if you need it today. I live in South Common area. Summerside to be exact.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefme View Post
I have some flatworm exit at home if you need it today. I live in South Common area. Summerside to be exact.
Thanks for the offer but I already ordered some, it should be here soon.