Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Midway is on a distinguished road
Default Is Herbatana ok for Clams?

Hi there, I think I got a little bit of ich in my tank again. I have added 4 clams now. For those of you out there that have used Herbatana before, do you know if that is ok for clams? I used herbatana before and all the corals were ok but now I have these clams, just wanna make sure I'm not gonna kill my clams.

Thanks very much for your responses.

Man get to know yourself and you will get to know the Universe and the Gods!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I used it with two clams in tank and no issue
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 AM

tinman is on a distinguished road
Default herbtanna

yup u are good to go i have clams and have never had any issues at all
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Midway is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies guys. Feel more comfortable now adding that solution in my tank with the clams.

Man get to know yourself and you will get to know the Universe and the Gods!!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the effectiveness of Herbatana?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default Herbtana

Used it on a few tanks and have seen it work, but it is a slow process. I would suggest combining it with hypo(per)salinity and garlic in the food. Have also fed metronidazole as well when dosing it which seemed to help as well.

Have also dosed it with both sharks and clams, which the sharks did not seem to like it, but were unaffected by the dosing.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Used it on a few tanks and have seen it work, but it is a slow process. I would suggest combining it with hypo(per)salinity and garlic in the food. Have also fed metronidazole as well when dosing it which seemed to help as well.

Have also dosed it with both sharks and clams, which the sharks did not seem to like it, but were unaffected by the dosing.
I have been soaking my food in Garlic as part of my daily routine. I also have a UV sterilizer too (now unplugged as Herbatana says to unplug it while dosing). Hopefully thats enough.

My tank was fine and Ich free until my Blue hippo tang went on a field trip outside the tank, I rescued him, but within a day he had Ich bad, within 3 days the Ich had spread to 3 more fish : ( So I just started dosing Herbatana in my reef tank and crossing my fingers. I still may try to pull out any of the infected fish that I can and put them in QT and dose copper, but I seriously doubt I will be able to catch any of them.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM

George is on a distinguished road

I highly doubt that herbtana can eradicate marine ich from your tank.
Marine ich has been studied by scientist for years. We know very well its life cycle and all of effective treatments. If hertana is so effective against marine ich, we should have many success stories by now, both from scientific community and as well marine hobby industry.
Herbtana by itself may boost fish immune system and in turn fight off marine ich. Even that (boosting of immune system), we don't have any prove.
Back to OP's question, from the description, hertana is a herb extraction, and its (ineffectiveness) killing ich, I would say its clam safe
I have a lot of expensive angel fish that's why I am very interested in QT procedure and are familiar with all the current protocols to QT fish for ich.