Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 02-14-2016, 04:40 PM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road
Default Plug ins and modifications for the forum suggestion

Hello

Just a thought as it seems the buy and sell section is cluttered with old adds with items no longer available.

Why not make it so that regulr members can edit or delete their threads in just this section? There's also a plug in that makes it so people can only post with a prefix and they can edit their post to a prefix that either says SOLD or Please Remove and a moderator can then remove that thread.

Seems it would bring order to chaos in my opinion but that's just my opinion.

I am only speaking from my experience running a forum using vbulletin

Cheers !!!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've always felt retaining old posts is a good history of things that have been posted before, giving people a reference on what something is worth. I often refer to old ads for pricing.

It would be nice if people updated their ads with a sold post, but frequently that doesn't happen. Giving a drop down button that didn't get used wouldn't solve that. Too many people sign up here simply to sell things, and never come back once they get the cash. Most regular members do update their posts.

I personally wouldn't agree to removing old posts, simply due to the reference I stated above.
That's the historical view though, so perhaps the new staff have different views.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I love being able to go through old posts and look at prices and what kind of stuff has been on the market locally.
Heck just went through some "old" 2012 posts last night on here.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I happen to agree with Brad 100%, but also understand the frustration of members as well. The ability of members to edit posts, in any capacity, would be abused.

The buy and sell forums are cluttered, but if you look at the dates of posts, and read the whole thread through, the majority of problems can be avoided.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 PM

Please note I also mention an option of a thread prefix plug in that makes sure people use the correct prefix for the thread. When they items are sold at the bare minimum they can edit the thread prefix to " SOLD " in bold red. This way people don't have to waste time reading an entire thread to find out if items are sold or not.

It's simple organization to make it easier to navigate and cater to everyone's needs.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Darth Moderator

Yeah that's a good idea. Currently it's up to the author of the thread to provide a prefix and update the thread with a sale or not. Mods do check the forums to ensure the buy and sell ads are somewhat following the rules.

I can't see any plug ins being added to the current version of Canreef, but it could be a possibility for the next. I'll talk to the boss. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road
Default Sold transaction posting notice...

Would it not be a good idea for the seller of the item to just post a reply to the thread "Sold...to the fine reefer Joe XXX". Everyone then knows it has been sold and that there is some transaction history between these two reefers
Old 02-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Storman View Post
Would it not be a good idea for the seller of the item to just post a reply to the thread "Sold...to the fine reefer Joe XXX". Everyone then knows it has been sold and that there is some transaction history between these two reefers
Well yes, but the complaint is the OP doesnt update the thread and shoppers need to read the whole thing just to find out somethings sold. First world problems I guess.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Possibly another suggestion is the itrader plug in but not sure if it works on this version of vbulletin. It allows people to give positive, neutral or negative feedback on experiences. Helps prevent people dealing with bad people.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
Possibly another suggestion is the itrader plug in but not sure if it works on this version of vbulletin. It allows people to give positive, neutral or negative feedback on experiences. Helps prevent people dealing with bad people.
That is also a very good suggestion!