Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road
Default Getting tired... Considering shut down

I love my tank, and can't imagine life without it, but I'm tired.

Between flying lessons and my wife being pregnant, just not sure how this can work much longer.

So many Renos to complete with little knowledge = stress.

Ugh.

I hate this thought. I have two months to figure it out.....

Anyone have some positive advice cause I'm losing my mind.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I did this once, hated not having a tank, and it cost me a lot of money and stress rebuilding my setup. Try to minimize the work you put in for a while, set aside a block of time for just looking at it every night with a good stiff drink
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default tanks are good

Most expensive baby toy in my house... but well worth it.

Bably cant sleep in those first few months? take out your durso or herbie and let the water noise put him or her to sleep...

Throw in a wavebox for some white noise on the overflow.

Seriously, our tank was a lifesaver on those sleepless nights at first.

Nate
Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Between flying lessons and my wife being pregnant, just not sure how this can work much longer.
Learning how to fly is a major commitment, and requires focus and patience (similar to keeping CB's). Sounds like you may have too many things on your plate right now.

I am a pilot (as should be obvious with my forum ID), and have an instructor's rating, too. Unfortunately, I know more people that start flying lessons than finish. It's not like learning how to drive a car. And the flying schools will happily take your money, and they don't want you to learn too quickly either (bad for business).

When people tell me they want to learn how to fly, I first ask why, then what they expect it will take to complete your PPL. I actually try to discourage them at first, because in most cases, they have totally unrealistic expectations.

Having said that, flying can also be a very rewarding (not financially) obsession (similar to reef keeping). And if you do indeed get hooked, well, then it was meant to be...

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 02-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:24 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about your system but maybe there is the possibilty in reducing it to as low maintance as possible. Sell your less than tolerant corals to avoid disappointment is they start heading south because you don't have the extra the time for the tank. Just minimize your system to low maintanence until you feel up to changing it back. Less fish, less corals, less stress.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

I don't know what I would do with out my tank, & I am not as picky as some of you on here. I keep it pretty low key, that said, once my upgrade is complete I am sure it will be more work & $$.

I have my PPL as well, it took me a couple years to get it, but for awhile it was one or 2 lessons a month, then 1 a week until I was done. Now after a baby in the house & building a house the $$ were not there for flying. Been 2 years since I got any stick time. Ahhh, I need to some air time, but the new tank will come first.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I'm almost done my private. Just perfecting circuit. Sitting at about 40 hrs.

Should have my ppl by may//June.

Then onto commercial. It's my childhood dream.

I fly twice a week. And at $1000-1300 a month. Sheez. Reef tanks are my CHEAP hobbies. Lol.

Edmonton flying club is great.

I appreciate the insight. Flying is a top priority. And when weather cancels, it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Learning how to fly is a major commitment, and requires focus and patience (similar to keeping CB's). Sounds like you may have too many things on your plate right now.

I am a pilot (as should be obvious with my forum ID), and have an instructor's rating, too. Unfortunately, I know more people that start flying lessons than finish. It's not like learning how to drive a car. And the flying schools will happily take your money, and they don't want you to learn too quickly either (bad for business).

When people tell me they want to learn how to fly, I first ask why, then what they expect it will take to complete your PPL. I actually try to discourage them at first, because in most cases, they have totally unrealistic expectations.

Having said that, flying can also be a very rewarding (not financially) obsession (similar to reef keeping). And if you do indeed get hooked, well, then it was meant to be...

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

One thing to look at is if you enjoy the maintenance or not. I've got a chaotic life right now that doesn't allow much time for anything at all, but the small amount of time I do get to spend on my tank I find relaxing. Recovering from crashes or just silly water changes, gets me some time to myself.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
One thing to look at is if you enjoy the maintenance or not. I've got a chaotic life right now that doesn't allow much time for anything at all, but the small amount of time I do get to spend on my tank I find relaxing. Recovering from crashes or just silly water changes, gets me some time to myself.
This pretty much sums up my life
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Anyone have some positive advice cause I'm losing my mind.
It sounds to me like you could use some Vodka dosing. Or increase your dosing rate if you are already dosing. Perhaps try other sources as well. Just be careful of which ones you mix together.