Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 AM

Snufflupagus is on a distinguished road
Smile Recommended cleaner crew

Hey All,

This is my very first post, so bare with me. I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions to what would be the best clean up crew I could put in my 96gallon salt water tank. I know there are different types that do different things, but really all I'm looking for is a basic cleaning crew that would clean the glass for the most part, and keep things looking fairly clean without me having to go into the tank and clean it myself. Does anyong have any suggestions and how many of each invert I would need for a 96 gallon tank? Thanks.
Snuffy
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 AM

brillo2723 is on a distinguished road

i have always used red and blue legged hermit crabs, margarita snails, cerith snails, turbo snails, bumble bee snails.
brillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
Hey All,

This is my very first post, so bare with me. I'm just wondering if anyone has some suggestions to what would be the best clean up crew I could put in my 96gallon salt water tank. I know there are different types that do different things, but really all I'm looking for is a basic cleaning crew that would clean the glass for the most part, and keep things looking fairly clean without me having to go into the tank and clean it myself. Does anyong have any suggestions and how many of each invert I would need for a 96 gallon tank? Thanks.
Snuffy
Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 AM

Snufflupagus is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I find the blue-legged only have one purpose in life, and that is to kill snails and steal their shells. I won't use them any more. The scarlet hermits are good, and a few cleaner shrimp will help, for the glass, a magnet scraper is your best friend.
Snails won't keep your glass clean, they'll just create trails through any algae
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

I agree with Aquattro.
Also bumblebee snails are predators and will only eat the good life in your tank that provide food for your corals.
Snails will not clean the glass.
Do not buy the reef cleaner packs offered by some LFS as they contain the hermit crabs and snails you don't want and they sell you too many snails which starve and die. You do not need that many. Maybe 10 to do a clean up job.
Also snails require carefully acclimatization as they are sensitive to changing salinity so use the drip method to slowly adjust the water you buy them in to your tank water
Thanks for asking before you buy.
Wayne
Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 AM

bowkry is on a distinguished road

I allways stay away from crabs, I find in the end they are more of a pain then they are worth. (esp if you have any direct feed corals, sun corals lps ect, they seem to steel the food) And I found fighting conch's, and sand stars (dont add a sand star till your sand bed is totally mature) do a great job of keeping the sand mixed up. Sory and turbo snails, and the large strawberry ones are great.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

No one has mentioned nassarius snails yet. They are typically under the stand so help to keep the sand stirred up abit as well, they come out near feeding times and collect uneated food or scavenge. An important addition to cleanup crews in my opinion.

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Agreed. I love the nass snails. Be careful with bumble bee snails as they will eat your other snails. Mine ate full sized turbos. Plus I would recommend staying away from turbos anyway as they get huge and are very clumsy. They knock your corals around.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by Aquattro; 08-03-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: sp. :)
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've read that Margarita snails are sub tropical and typically boil in most saltwater aquariums within a short time. Has anyone kept them long term?

My favorite clean up crew members are the ones that are free and reproduce on their own like stomatella snails and mini brittle stars.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
Hey All,

Snuffy

I have some scarlets but more for the novelty that use. I would keep no other crabs. Like various turbo,s for helping with any algae on the rock but the others are correct in that they dont clean much else. A serpent star or two, depending on tank size, are pretty good scavengers.

For sandbed if using one, the snails Carmen mentioned are good and perhaps a Fighting Conch and something like a Tiger Tail cuc. Again all depending on load and age of tank & sand.

and

Welcome
to
Canreef