Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

pretty close..
thanks for posting them
close enough that we can assume any difference is probably a result of a difference in the testing parameters (different hydrometer, test kits, etc).

After looking at that, I may be going to seachem from now on as a non zeo user....
I havent cracked my h20 salt bucket I paid almost 90 bucks for as im still working my way through the tropic marin pro but for the near 30 dollar savings, from that one test, it looks like seachem reef is where its at.
great numbers all across the board.

Last edited by Whatigot; 03-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Taken from that link, I find this interesting:

Reefer's Best

Ca 420
ALK 11
Mg 1200

High ALK for ZEO but low Mg for most "high end" mixes. But this is just one test.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM

Tested again today:

80 degrees
RO/DI TDS 0

ALK 10
PH 8.4
Ca 500
Mg 1320

Didn't test K+ this time or nitrates.

So pretty consistent for me. The three results I have posted are all from different buckets, months apart.

Whether its the same as Red Sea or not, I like this salt. I do not have any Red Sea to test but when I used to use it years ago, it was very low in Calcium. I never used to test Magnesium or ALK though, so I have no idea what they were.

I have a feeling based on the packaging that they are indeed made in the same plant. Even the printing on the buckets is so similar. Actually the layout is the exact same.

Perhaps the Red Sea stuff is a lower grade salt while they make sure the H2O levels are correct. Kind of like Tropic Marin Pro versus the regular stuff...I would assume they are produced in the same place but I have used both and they are not the same product.

I think people need to make sure they know the facts before they post things like this. Seems like maybe someone found out they are made in the same place and assumed they are the same product.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 PM

bigblack is on a distinguished road

I've been digging around a little more and seems that this is prob made in the same factory as red sea coral salt, the similarities are just too alike, with alk being a little diff with respect to each other, i'm going back to seachems reef salt its numbers are good and 30 bucks cheaper, i can buy alot more salt for that. And No just cuz i heard it on the net doesnt make it true but i was just going on fauna marin's reputation when i read that, and i don't think he is the only one that thinks its rebadged rscs, have a looksy on the net and many people express that opinion. i won't say where and leave it up to you to look, I just think in this hobby we get use to equating quality with a higher price and get that nice placebo effect, Its no surprise that aquarium companies know this and prey on our weakness, just look at all the rebadged things in the industry which cost double then it normally would. Don't get me wrong i'm not cheap but This hobby is expensive enough, i dont need my salt to be anymore so for no reason.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblack View Post
I've been digging around a little more and seems that this is prob made in the same factory as red sea coral salt, the similarities are just too alike, with alk being a little diff with respect to each other, i'm going back to seachems reef salt its numbers are good and 30 bucks cheaper, i can buy alot more salt for that. And No just cuz i heard it on the net doesnt make it true but i was just going on fauna marin's reputation when i read that, and i don't think he is the only one that thinks its rebadged rscs, have a looksy on the net and many people express that opinion. i won't say where and leave it up to you to look, I just think in this hobby we get use to equating quality with a higher price and get that nice placebo effect, Its no surprise that aquarium companies know this and prey on our weakness, just look at all the rebadged things in the industry which cost double then it normally would. Don't get me wrong i'm not cheap but This hobby is expensive enough, i dont need my salt to be anymore so for no reason.
If your just talking about the threads on Reef Central, that is not enough to base this on. Things spread like wildfire there. As soon as one person says its rebagged, a thousand others jump on the bandwagon and agree without actually knowing the facts. Many people expressing an opinion on the net does not make it a fact. Also being made in the same factory doesn't mean its the same product.

I am going to go get a bucket of the Red Sea stuff on friday when I am in Richmond (I know Big Als sells it) and test it.

As I said earlier, I have already found differences. Give me proof its the exact same and I will use the cheaper one but until then and as long as the H2O tests as well as it does, I will continue to use it.

Its not easy to find another salt testing high in Potassium.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I'd go halfers on that salt, just to know...
I think they sell the mini buckets at big als...

Maybe someone who is using it could even donate some to this cause...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM

deep6er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
out of curiosity, what do you mix (water to salt ratio) and what d you test and what is the tests bang on to?

just curious as I have this salt now...
Im not realy sure how much salt I add at one time because I always make different amounts of water.The mixing pail is 30g. And I mix it to 1.025
ph - 8.2
Ca - 420/440
dkh - 9.0
mg - 1300/1340
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
I'd go halfers on that salt, just to know...
I think they sell the mini buckets at big als...

Maybe someone who is using it could even donate some to this cause...
I am just going to go ahead and buy a bucket. I will use it regardless, so its not a big deal.

I really want to see how it tests compared to the H2O using the exact same test kits/water/mixing methods,ect.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Claims are unfounded.
Who is the manufacturer? Is it the same as Red Sea?
If it is Red Sea, what is the difference between the two products?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Who is the manufacturer? Is it the same as Red Sea?
If it is Red Sea, what is the difference between the two products?
Well thats kind of the mystery here.

I for one am leaning towards same manufacturer but different product.