View Poll Results: Starting a cycle
Something dead (shrimp) 12 33.33%
Something in a bottle 11 30.56%
Time 14 38.89%
Other 7 19.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I hate dry rock. When I have to deal with it I use Prodibio Start, and use some tank water from one of my own tanks.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:16 AM

Jpower is on a distinguished road

I used live sand, dry rock, some live rock and prodibio start up. Im starting to wonder if because of this I wont get a cycle? Amonia and Nitrate are steady at 0 and nitrate has been at 10. Nothing has changed in a week.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpower View Post
I used live sand, dry rock, some live rock and prodibio start up. Im starting to wonder if because of this I wont get a cycle? Amonia and Nitrate are steady at 0 and nitrate has been at 10. Nothing has changed in a week.
It depends what kind of dry rock you used. Though if you haven't seen any ammonia in a week I'd be inclined to say you won't. Did you check ammonia arond the 2-3 day mark too? Nothing then?

The branching type of rock has nearly nothing on it, so it doesn't seem to cycle. The shelf stuff isn't too bad either. The Pukani stuff is horrendously dirty and causes a crazy cycle which can be lessened if you powerwash it, bleach it, and acid bath it. I've found dead starfish in it, big dead worms, large chunks of dried algae.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM

Jpower is on a distinguished road

Hi Myka

Amonia did go up but only slightly on day 3. I missed day 4 as I was away for work. All the water parameters have been the same the last 9 times i've tested. The rock I used was from Wai's in calgary. Not sure what type but they are rather large and filled with holes. They seemed to be very clean. They went from bleach white to a darker color at this point. I can see some algae growing on my live but non growing on the dry rock.

I was trying to find what type of dry rock I have and it looks like "reef saver".

Last edited by Jpower; 04-27-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 AM

jazzywashbuckler is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about not bleaching my rock and throwing a shrimp beheaded in.??? What y'all think?.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzywashbuckler View Post
I'm thinking about not bleaching my rock and throwing a shrimp beheaded in.??? What y'all think?.
I think you'll need a lawnmower to trim the algae in 4 weeks
Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 AM

Grayout is on a distinguished road

I've always preferred the method of using an abundance of live rock and seeding the tank with the detritus/aged seawater pulled from another tank. My current tank was quickly cycled by using the live sand/rock/water from a pico that had been running for a year or so. I provided the tank with a small amount of ammonia by adding mysid a few times a week. Obviously, it's something that shouldn't be rushed as I'm still waiting for my DSB to mature and chaeto to grow out in order to feel more comfortable about the biological portion of the system. I'm a big believer in biological diversity within a reef tank.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:55 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I downsized from a 90G to a RSM250 65g I used 60% old water from the 90G and 40%new water, all the rock that went into the RSM came out of the 90g sand was all rinsed with used salt water from the 90g. the bio in 2 bags were from my 50g sump which ran with my 90g and is hydrton balls, lr rubble and bio rings.
Basically it was a big water change and worked great for me without any cycle.