Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-28-2017, 01:50 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting suggestions 36" X 15 x 15

I recently got a nuvo fusion 30l (36") and have been struggling with lighting choices. The tank currently has a single kessil a360 which obviously leaves a lot of dark areas in the tank. So I have been throwing around the idea of selling that and getting the following options.
1) 3 kessil a80-
Pros: I already have a controller, silent (big plus), nice shimmer, price
Cons: under powered? Need to build canopy as I want to contain pretty much all light spill due to wife complaints
2) 2 ai prime
Pro: controllable, high powered
Cons:noise, still need to build a canopy, might still get shading
3)ati 36"sunpower non dimmable
Pros: no canopy, can use t5/led bulbs, even coverage
Cons:too powerful for15" depth?

Any Suggestions?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:04 AM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

I had 2 primes set up on my 40 breeder which is pretty similar in dimension but found there was too much shading. I ended up with 2 hydra 26s and have been much happier.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:53 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I vote T5 every time. I don't like the look of LEDs, and I don't like the programming of LEDs either.

Which types of corals will you be keeping?

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:59 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Check out the Evergrow IT series. They make a size that will allow for complete coverage with no shading and they are virtually silent.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:04 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road
Default LED Light option...

You could always go with a couple of Radion xr30w Gen 4's. I have several and they are awesome! (IMHO)...
Because all 8 light channels are completely and individually programmable, along with a master brightness level, the sky is the limit as to the look and growth you desire.
Yes, cost is initially higher, but looking at the long term, no bulbs to replace every 6-9 month's, energy efficiency and greatly reduced power bills along with very cool and quiet operation along with wireless operation and cloud access from any device.
As the light is 'focused' downward, ecotech states that the coverage is about 36" x 36", but in actual fact, I am seeing good coverage in a pattern of about 24" x 24" based on a tank that is 26" deep. I have the lights mounted on the Multi Light Radion Mounting Solution. Lights are about 8 inches above the water. I have a cube which is 3 feet front to back so I opted to go with 3 XR30's as I can catch the back corners on each side.

20170228_083724.jpg

Reeflink controller programming interface allowing wireless control of the Radions.

Radion programming.jpg
Old 02-28-2017, 05:14 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Deven ran two XR15pro's on his 30L, looked great. The actual display area to light will be 36" x 11" x 12", you lose 3-3/4" width with the AIO wall and the glass is 13" high.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:10 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

I have similar set up as your, do you only run at 20%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Storman View Post
You could always go with a couple of Radion xr30w Gen 4's. I have several and they are awesome! (IMHO)...
Because all 8 light channels are completely and individually programmable, along with a master brightness level, the sky is the limit as to the look and growth you desire.
Yes, cost is initially higher, but looking at the long term, no bulbs to replace every 6-9 month's, energy efficiency and greatly reduced power bills along with very cool and quiet operation along with wireless operation and cloud access from any device.
As the light is 'focused' downward, ecotech states that the coverage is about 36" x 36", but in actual fact, I am seeing good coverage in a pattern of about 24" x 24" based on a tank that is 26" deep. I have the lights mounted on the Multi Light Radion Mounting Solution. Lights are about 8 inches above the water. I have a cube which is 3 feet front to back so I opted to go with 3 XR30's as I can catch the back corners on each side.

Attachment 15746

Reeflink controller programming interface allowing wireless control of the Radions.

Attachment 15747
Old 02-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Every successful tank I have seen in person has been based on halide or T5 lighting, with LED's as supliments. That being said, all those tanks were SPS dominent.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

I'm leaning towards the t5 fixture. As I was worried about the shading from leds. It would only be the 4 bulb model as I dont want to light up the back portion of the aio. This would allow all coral choices which is nice

Now 24" or 36"?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:03 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef-Geek View Post
I have similar set up as your, do you only run at 20%?
The lights are still ramping up. All 3 lights are running at 45 percent at high noon. It is part of the default curve available as a profile in reeflink. I have not had the time to create a 'custom' profile. Its a work in progress...