Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
If you do run herbie keep in mind you'll need two separate drain lines all the way to the basement sump. You can't at any point tee the primary into the back up.
The emergency drains should be ok if they are joined in to one before they hit the sump though eh?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default drain

the other option you have is a stockman.all my tanks have stockmans and they are all silent
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
The emergency drains should be ok if they are joined in to one before they hit the sump though eh?
Yes if you have two or more emergencies, they can be tied together. Same if you have two or more primary drains, they can also be tied together in fact it's best if the primary drains all connect into one gate valve. You just can't connect the primary & emergency/back up drains together simply because you'll get an echo noise up the emergency drains which can be pretty noisy.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

My herbie is mostly silent.

I just changed to a DC return pump and Herbie, so now the remaining noise is from the Skimmer and the MP40's. Not much else I can do to quieten it down.

I try not to have a slight trickle. I can usually keep it just below the top of the emergency. Although it does fluctuate as my sock filter gets dirty.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatkins View Post
My herbie is mostly silent.

I just changed to a DC return pump and Herbie, so now the remaining noise is from the Skimmer and the MP40's. Not much else I can do to quieten it down.

I try not to have a slight trickle. I can usually keep it just below the top of the emergency. Although it does fluctuate as my sock filter gets dirty.
Yea all my equipment is in my basement so I dont hear anything other than my MP40s. I'll be running 4 of the MP40s on my new build, so i'd imagine it's going to drown out any other sounds. I've decided to go with the herbys and run 4 drains and only teeing together the emergency drains.
Thanks to all for the input and keep it coming
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yea all my equipment is in my basement so I dont hear anything other than my MP40s. I'll be running 4 of the MP40s on my new build, so i'd imagine it's going to drown out any other sounds. I've decided to go with the herbys and run 4 drains and only teeing together the emergency drains.
Thanks to all for the input and keep it coming
Just to note, if your new tank has two separate overflows you'll need to tee the primary drains into a single gate valve for control. While the overall water flow rate will be constant the flow rate to each overflow will vary, especially with any kind of wave, so if you use two separate gate valves you will be constantly fighting to tune them properly.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 PM

It'll be a coast to coast internal overflow.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it strictly a noise thing?
Full siphon drain (herbie) is able to drain higher gph as it is not sucking air into the drain pipe
Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Herbie now but when I first setup up tank was using dual Dursos with basement sump. Worked perfect for about 5 years before I changed. Would say Herbie is slight more maintenance as every few months I need to open gate valve to clear snails, something never had to do with Dursos.

Only reason I changed was I had a long horizontal run under room used as a office and could hear gurgling in lines when house was quiet (running 1000gph). Herbie did stop the noise heard in the room.

Unless you feel like playing, would say just keep Dursos, as I found really no difference in sound at display or sump (both were/are silent).
Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I run a Durso....but I dont have a choice as I have 1 return and 1 over flow. I dont think I would change anyways.