Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What do you do with new additions?
Seperate Quarantine Tank every time 28 43.75%
Same water system, but a holding tank 1 1.56%
Same tank, but seperated by a divider or net 0 0%
Just put them in! They will figure it out 35 54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 PM

Pike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I did this for years, then one day I did what i always did, in 3 days complete tank wipe out and 6 week fallow.

Never ever again.

I guess you dice with the dark side one day you will get burnt. I did, and I know when I mentioned this on RC the thread was full of same stories. I just dont take risks like that now

What exactly happened, what caused the wipe out ?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

I've been hearing about more fish dieing from QT than not Qt...
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
You dip your fish in coral rx?
I have never quarenteened anything thought about it with my achilles but too much work removing fish outta three tanks. there all tied together plus would need 3 tanks to quarenteen then all in. I know I'm playing with fire but never had a issue other then short term ich breakouts that have always for the most part gone away with no deaths.

LMAO

I don't quarantine either. drop in and play.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013

Last edited by Bblinks; 02-07-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:32 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I ought to quarantine but am too tired / lazy. Probably gambling and should know better.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 AM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Can someone explain to me how a fish can die from qt? Cleaner or equal water to your display, less current, more hiding spots, lower light and less competition for food. Plus the fact they can live their whole lives without a worry of so much as a single white spot.

I've lost my fair share of fish in qt but very few in my display tank. I am however still guilty of not quarantining everything. While I do dip all corals I occasionally put them directly in display and often within a week or 2. I guess the biggest problem outside of being impatient is I'd only be able to shop for stuff once every 72 days or get like 5 qt tanks. Currently I use a 55 gallon for fish and a 20 gallon if I buy anything while I'm already have fish in qt. I use my frag tank to qt snails crabs and other things but coral do not often make it the entire time. Perhaps eventually I will get a second frag tank as I worry about my Achilles every time I add a coral but never when I add a fish.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:17 AM

Sharkbait-huhaha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
You dip your fish in coral rx?
I have never quarenteened anything thought about it with my achilles but too much work removing fish outta three tanks. there all tied together plus would need 3 tanks to quarenteen then all in. I know I'm playing with fire but never had a issue other then short term ich breakouts that have always for the most part gone away with no deaths.

Lol I should've been more specific. I dip my corals in Rx. Fish I just toss in after 10-15 minutes bag in tank
Old 02-07-2015, 02:13 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCGY View Post
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

+2
Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
I've been hearing about more fish dieing from QT than not Qt...
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 AM

RMC is on a distinguished road

I'm relatively new at this hobby and didn't quarintine at first. The 3rd fish I got, Flame Angel, came with some ich (no charge for the Ich). It died and took another one with it to the big tank in the sky. I ended up setting up a QT and left my display fallow for 6 weeks. Lesson learn the hard way. Now I quarintine EVERYTHING!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:21 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.
Exactly. I've lost some fish in QT, but I know exactly why, and it wasn't QT fault, but mine. I now keep a fresh foam block cycled in my main sump, QT anything new, don't medicate until I know everything else is settled, fish is eating, etc. Then I still may not medicate if there are no signs of anything for a month.