Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road
Question Are you still buying in the USA? Why?

With our dollar being at par, the only reason you should be buying in the US is if there is a product you can not find here OR if your buying large amounts. We have a couple of suppliers in the states whom we deal with on a monthly basis and we need to buy $5000+ to make it profitable. We try to keep the shipping/duty/brokerage cost between 8 and 12% of the total sale.

As a hobbiest you cant possibly be saving money from buying US, can you? Check out this site, it is pretty accurate http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/

On 2 occasions this weekend we were asked to match a US retailers price. Both times we were actually cheaper when calculating the TRUE cost of the US item delivered to your door. 90% of the time UPS will be handling your US/CA border brokering. If you buy a $200 item you need to add $25 just for brokering, then you have shipping, Disbursement fees and Visa fees. Visa charges about 2.5% conversion fees.

Being Sunday, I'll be back and forth all day so my replies will be delayed.

Please discuss

Ray

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I don't even look at US prices. I have a network of vendors I deal with that take care of me, and saving a couple of bucks isn't worth the price of not supporting the companies that are there for me when I need something.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I don't even look at US prices. I have a network of vendors I deal with that take care of me, and saving a couple of bucks isn't worth the price of not supporting the companies that are there for me when I need something.
Well said

Old 04-22-2012, 02:44 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

I feel much safer buying as close to home as possible. I like to be able to see what I'm buying before I spend and also I would like to make any warranty work as simple as possible.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:48 PM

68shelby is on a distinguished road

My local fish store sells the halides I use for $130 and up a piece, sorry I can get them online for a less than half. There markup and then theres gouging.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you just can't buy it in Canada, nobody has a decent supply of JohnGuest fittings or refillable media cartridges, so, once in a while I order from BRS, other than that, it`s All Canadian for me.
I live on the border but have no desire to go to the US, I have no passport, no nexus, no nothing, TOOOOOO many guns overthere.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shelby View Post
My local fish store sells the halides I use for $130 and up a piece, sorry I can get them online for a less than half. There markup and then theres gouging.
I also ordered bulbs from the us before until one shipment showed up and 2 bulbs did not work. They said that with bulb a there was nothing they could do so I was left holding the bag.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shelby View Post
So you buy them in the US..no one here has them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
I feel much safer buying as close to home as possible. I like to be able to see what I'm buying before I spend and also I would like to make any warranty work as simple as possible.
Yepp, warranty is another good reason to buy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_stir View Post
Sometimes you just can't buy it in Canada, nobody has a decent supply of JohnGuest fittings or refillable media cartridges, so, once in a while I order from BRS, other than that, it`s All Canadian for me.
I live on the border but have no desire to go to the US, I have no passport, no nexus, no nothing, TOOOOOO many guns overthere.
I agree that for some reason RO equipment is hard to find here. This is why we decided to bring in Spectrapure in May.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

I only buy from the US when I can't find what I'm looking for here..... but having said that I have to pay shipping costs for whatever I buy and anything I do get from the States I get shipped usps and the brokerage fee is only $5
eg. I bought 3 phoenix 250K mogul bulbs from premium aquatics and after including all shipping costs they came to under 70$ can.each and to top it off canada post must of messed up because they left the parcel on my doorstep without collecting their brokerage fee or the taxes

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
+1 for me.